Skip to main content

Happy Day After. . .

 


As my much loved and missed maternal grandfather used to say, while he stirred his mid-afternoon scotch and water with his forefinger and flicked the drop or two of moister into the nearby kitchen sink, "Happy day after!"  There is something very pleasant about the relative quiet and calm of December 26th after the busy run up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as nice as they are in their ways.

Here in The Grand Duchy of Stollen, we have continued to enjoy too many seasonal treats, Christmas music, and yet more Christmas dinner with some delightful French and Italian red wines.  The Young Master enjoyed receiving his Russian artillery, and we hope to have a game sometime during Christmas week although that depends on what he decides to do since it is Christmas Break and he is so over scheduled the rest of the time with one thing and another.

In any case, I am already thinking ahead to what I might paint up for him for his next birthday and next Christmas.  One very manageable possibility might be a company of about 15 Minden and RSM95 Croats that I've had base-coated for some years but have yet to do anything about painting.  Painting them as a company of Russian Pandours might be just the thing.  

I'm already thinking too about a large regiment of infantry of some kind during the next year.  All of this would provide him with a small brigade of his own along with artillery and cavalry support, but this is putting the 1/56th cart before the 30mm horse.

Looking at what must be done to finish his Prussian garrison battalion, I see that it is mostly details that I can take care of for Your Paul if he decides he is too busy with other things to join ol' Dad at the painting table.  I'll float the idea to him though. You never know.

In any case, I'll have a look at his in-progress garrison infantry and dive in for an hour or so this evening to make some headway.  Hopefully, we can finish them and start his new squadron of 14 Russian dragoons before too long.  

And, of course, there are my own troops to think about.  Probably time to have a go at some Austrian infantry with some of those lovely Charles IV flags.  

I might also paint the planned infantry regiment in earlier uniforms with colored breeches and waistcoats rather than the white of the Seven Years War.  Some interesting stuff coming up then as 2021 turns into 2022.  

As in previous years, I am not making any concrete painting plans beyond what is outlined above since available hobby time is already scarce, but it's nice to have some general idea of the way forward even when you aren't quite sure of where the journey will take you and how you might reach the end destination.  Agreed?

-- Stokes

Comments

David Morfitt said…
Good luck with all your plans; just after Xmas is a great time for dreaming and planning. I would love to see some of those earlier 18th century Austrians with the Charles VI flags! :-)

Happy New Year to you and yours!

All the best,

David.
Carnoe said…
"Happy day after" sounds a lot more sensible than our "Boxing day".

Making plans is one of the most enjoyable parts of our hobby, regardless as to whether they come to fruition. Some Russian Pandours sounds like a great idea. At any rate, I'll be looking forward to 2022 on GDoS with great eagerness.

Happy New Year to all.

Marvin

Popular posts from this blog

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!