Skip to main content

Starting the Second Company and Others. . .

 

Ok, maybe not an actual game with terrain and so forth laid out, but a cheery enough sight greeted me this morning as I looked over yesterday's brushwork once again with that first mug of coffee.

 

While I have taken a break from applying finer details to the first 16+ figures of the next unit, I have nevertheless forged ahead with base-coating the next 16 or so figures, using an old, crummy brush (a #6 round?).  You will also observe that I have started blocking in main colors on those, using #4 and #7 round brushes.  Dark blue and black so far.  

Fairly easy, even mindless brushwork that progresses fairly quickly.  Visible progress is what we're after to keep the painting mojo going, the painting muse present, and the tedium demon at bay.  

Three or four shorter sessions in the painting chair spread across the late morning and afternoon yesterday (Monday), as time presented itself, instead of the fabled marathon session, but I am pleased with the results.  Waiting for the "perfect" time to sit down and pick up the brushes means you never get anything done.  

That is a point we have been working on with the Young Master, who at the moment is fixated on waiting for the perfect time to do this or that.  Au contraire, young sir.  You miss considerable opportunity if you wait around for everything to be perfect.  You've got to get outside and play now, figuratively speaking, otherwise Summer Vacation will be here and gone before you know it.  But I digress!

My one-time fantasy of uninterrupted hours in the painting chair is just that.  A fantasy.  Something that might have been possible when I was much younger, single, and either still living at home or later living on my own.  You know the drill.  Once you are in a committed relationship of some kind with a family. . .  Sigh.  However, I am always surprised by what you can get done with a bit of focus and a few shorter sessions during the day or evening as the case may be.

Following breakfast with The Young Master in a few minutes plus a trip to the barber a little later this morning, I hope to return to the painting chair to apply some small straps and brass details to the 16 figures in the foreground and (later) apply fleshtone to the next 16 or so behind them.  Black gaiters, red facings, and turnbacks will follow in the next day or so along with white highlights for the breeches and waistcoats.

And then there is the planned game with The Young Master this 4th of July weekend to set up!  So, I must peruse Charles Grant's tabletop teasers for a suitable scenario, set the tables up and put out some suitable scenery.  We're going to try my ever evolving morale rules to introduce the confusion and fog of battle to our game.

-- Stokes

Comments

Big Andy said…
I have given up marathon painting sessions - these days it is 30 minutes here and an hour there so I know exactly what you mean. Make sure the barber is only a tonsorial artiste and not a barber-suregeion !
Ed M said…
I have found the same: shorter, more sustainable sessions vs marathons. Another nagging issue brought on by "maturing" is that I find that too much time spent in a "painting posture" can bring on a host of side effects (that nagging stuff associated with necks, spines, and tendons). I would rather use the rare marathon opportunity for playing with the toys!
Thank you for the comments, men!

Andy, I always get a little bit nervous when the barber gets out the old straight razor to gingerly shave the nape of my neck as he finishes. Always a good idea simply to chat pleasantly and answer in the affirmative if or when any questions are put to me.

Agreed, Ed. Far better to play the actual games, but I've got two drawers of unpainted lead to get through too! Eventually, two small armies of 10-12 units each should allow me to fight almost any Grant scenario atop the table. The trouble is that Crann Tara and Minden/Fife&Drum keep releasing new items, must haves I call 'em, and you know how that goes! Might as well keep painting as long as the eyesight is good enough to do so.

Best Regards,

Stokes
warpaintjj said…
Good progress, even if if in short stints! Honestly I completely agree with about shorter sessions grabbed here & there, it all adds up & saves on back & neck pain & even saves the eye sight I bet.
Enjoy your game & please take some pics & produce dispatches for us to read & digest.
Very best wishes,
Jeremy

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a