Skip to main content

Step 3: Girths. . .


A close-up shot of two trumpeter's greys with completed girths.

After a Saturday working outside all day to finish edging and weeding the third garden bed in as many days, I managed to steal away for about 30 minutes down here to Zum Stollenkeller -- after dinner and The Young Master's bedtime (He read for 30 minutes to me.  A self-authored and illustrated book all about various monsters found around the house, in the attic, under the bed, etc.) -- to finish the final eight girths on those 36 Minden mounts intended for three squadrons of Austrian dragoons. 

Yet again, my 20+ year old bottle of Ral Partha leather did not let me down.  It just keeps on going and going and going.  Easily one of the longest lasting bottles of hobby paint I have ever possessed in almost forty years of painting first fantasy and later historical miniatures.  ABout once a year, I add 4-6 drops of flow enhancer, shake it well, and it's like a new bottle of paint with good flow and coverage. 

Next up, things are about to get ugly.  Or at least more difficult and tedious.  Yes.  That's right.  It's time for the dreaded reins, bridles, and other assorted straps (Groan!), which should take a while to work through.  I might tackle these in batches of six or 12.  We'll see how the painting muse strikes me.

Finally, I notice that the blog has picked up a few additional followers in during the last several weeks.  Welcome!  I hope you enjoy occasional visits to The Grand Duchy of Stollen.

-- Stokes



And the entire regiment.  Took about four separate, albeit fairly short, painting sessions to get the girths painted in.  A busy week here at Stollen Central.

Comments

Doug said…
Those greys are terrific. How do you do them?
Doug said…
Ok, scratch that last, found the earlier post, and it's not too dissimilar from a method I used to use, but I like the additional wrinkles. I shall give that a try. I have two sets of AWI cavalry, one Perry, one Foundry, that need some attention.
Marvin said…
I've been enjoying your horse painting odyssey immensely! The sight of so much tack to paint over would cow a lesser man, I'm sure.

With so many chestnuts painted, I am thinking that this colour is something I really need to revisit too. I do paint chestnuts frequently but I'm not always satisfied with them so I'll be looking for some colours closer to your achievement.

Best,

Marvin
Gallia said…
The greys are wonderfully well-done. None of mine have ever looked half as good. Impressive artistry/technique.
Bill P.

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a