Skip to main content

Back to the Painting Bench!

36 unpainted Minden Austrian dragoons stand ready for summer painting.


Many of us in the wargaming world are familiar with those two maladies associated with the hobby.  Do I refer to painter's elbow or deteriorating eyesight?  No.  I'm talking about those other two afflictions.  Come on.  You know what I mean.  Well-laid plans and butterflies.  Please allow me to say just a few words about each.

As far as plans go, some in the hobby -- those rare creatures -- make detailed plans and carry them out without a hitch.  Masters of focus, project management, and sheer painting output.  God bless 'em, those lucky so and so's.

Then, there are those of us, who despite the best of intentions, never quite manage to see their plans come to fruition.  At least not as rapidly as we'd like.  Which leads us to our next related point for today.

Often, it is those wargaming butterflies that complicate whatever picture we might carry in our minds (the almighty mental list) of the aforementioned best laid plans.  The "Ooooh, shiny!" syndrome.  Which leads me back to my own fairly recent hobby activities.  You knew we'd eventually make it there, right?

Painting on 14 Minden Prussian Bosniaks ticked along for a nice little while here and there during the autumn months last year and through the Christmas season, culminating in a New Year's Day game with my son, Young Master Paul.  Some of you might recall the photographs I shared of our game in a previous post.

As the new university semester took off shortly thereafter, I managed to keep going at the painting bench, somewhat more sporadically, as things inevitably became busier and gradually left me with less free time, or just too mentally wiped out by day's end to contemplate evening painting.  Still, I managed to get the 14 figures and steeds very close to being finished, barring the small black horizontal stripes on most of the lances, before traveling to visit my mother and stepfather for a week during our spring vacation at the start of March.  

All fine and dandy.  The plan was to finish those after returning home.  But that's not quite the way things have panned out the last month or so.

My employer, Michigan State University, made the very smart, informed, and early decision to make all face-to-face courses 'remote' for the remainder of the spring semester after just two days back during the second week of March.  It needs no further explanation other than to mention Covid-19 and the resulting worldwide health crisis.  One student somewhere on campus exhibited symptoms right before classes began again on Monday, March 9th, and that was it.  By midday on the 11th, word went out.  Face-to-face classes cancelled for the rest of the spring semester.  We've been running things ever since via email, texting, Zoom, Prezi, and so forth ever since.  But all of that has left even less time for anything fun like painting toy soldiers.

However, Minden Miniatures came to the rescue.  Like the U.S. cavalry in an old Western film, I have been spurred on thanks to a recent week of 15% discount on purchases due to overstock resulting from the cancellation [postponed until late July actually] of the annual Seven Years War Association convention in South Bend, Indiana.  How could you say no to a discount like that?  So, I took advantage of it to round out a growing unit of Austrian dragoons, the first several packs of which were stocking stuffers from Ol' Saint Nick for Christmas 2018 and Christmas '19.

All of this means that I now have the monster regiment of 36 figures and riders, pictured above, which needs to be painted.  It seems like a good idea to attempt this between May and late August this year before classes, online or otherwise, start up again at the beginning of September later this year.

Long-time visitors to the Grand Duchy of Stollen will realize already that my painting has never been what you might call fast.  That explains why my mid-18th century collection of painted battalions, regiments, batteries, supporting units, and civilians is still relatively small by some standards after almost 14 years of work on The Grand Duchy of Stollen Collection.  Painting time was reduced considerably with the arrival of our son in October 2009 and again following our move to Michigan State a few years later in 2015 where more has been required in the positions that The Grand Duchess (administration) and I (teaching faculty) took at that point.  But it's really more about the journey than the destination, right?

But I digress.  Returning to the point at hand, how in the world do I expect to get the planned three-squadron unit of dragoons completed in roughly four months?  No way around it.  This is going to be a lot of painting however I might try to break it down into smaller chunks.  Trying something different when it comes to the painting process and looking for a simpler uniform to paint soon emerged as the answer to the conundrum.

Rather than fall back on my tried and true approach of many years' standing and NOT attach riders to horses first.  Nope.  This time, I plan to undercoat and paint all 36 horses first before moving on to the officers, musicians, and troopers.  Mostly a tan undercoat with four or five horse getting yellow, and then all chestnuts with a few bays using just two oil-based browns.  One or two horses will become greys for the musicians.  

The actual riders are earmarked for the relatively simple dark blue, faced red uniforms worn by Austria's Batthyani Dragoons.  See Morier's painting below.  Kronoskaf shows saddlecloths also in dark blue.  So, if I keep everything dark blue, facings and turnbacks red, with slightly lighter highlights kept to a bare minimum, it should be possible to churn out completed figures in fairly short order -- roughly four months -- once the current semester ends in just a few weeks, final grades are submitted online, and things settle down somewhat.  

We'll see how things go.  In any case, oils for the horse coats and fleshtone with acrylics for most other large areas and detailing.  I really enjoy the effects you can get through oils, but time is of the essence.  Even with products like Liquin and alkyd-based oil paints, which greatly reduce drying time and help oils flow nicely over surfaces, sometimes you've just gotta bite the bullet and go with hobby acrylics for the greatest ease of use and end results.

After everything has been painted and glossed, then riders will be attached carefully to horses.  If I can restock my supply of laser-cut ply bases before then -- Like many other small businesses, Litko has been impacted by the ongoing public health crisis with a hold on any new orders for the time being and a delay in shipping of current orders. -- I might attach the horses to their permanent bases before attaching riders.  I'll have to play that by ear, I guess, depending on how the situation develops over the next several months.

But in the meantime, let's finish those horizontal black lance stripes on the Bosniaks and get 'em glossed, eh?  Detailed plans for the next big thing are very nice, but we don't want to leave previous painting projects unfinished. . .  One of the many stumbling blocks that hindered my corps-level Waterloo-era 15mm project many, many years ago now, and which I never quite managed to finish.  Sigh.  Should have gone for 5-6mm.  Or hair roller armies.  Where was my head? 

So, the moral of the painting story?  Kids, don't try this at home!  It's always better, in my humble view, to finish what we start before rushing off wildly in a new direction.

-- Stokes



A grenadier of Austria's Batthyani Regiment, painted by David Morier, ca. 1749.

Comments

Ed M said…
An ambitious (daunting?) project, but one whose rewards will be equally extravagant. As a slow painter myself, I compensate by not going with the "big battalions" approach and sticking to systems with smaller figure counts. I admire your fortitude!
Well, go BIG say I. Or as my wife still kids me about an early camping trip we took pre-child, and she asked how many bratwursts (in a 6-pack) she should fix on the camp stove as I unloaded the car and stowed gear in the tent. "Fix it all!" I replied. She has never let me forget that, and it's pushing 20 years since the episode.

Best Regards,

Stokes
marinergrim said…
I now struggle with massed units in one go preferring 8-12 in batches. As such I do admire those who can do it.
Im always intrigued on how other wargamers tackle a project whether big or small. Its just in case I can pinch something from fellow travelers. Personally I would tackle this regiment in blocks of six figures simply because I would quickly sicken of painting that many horses, especially the way you paint them. I must admit Ive never found an alternative that could beat oil painted horses. Of course it was Peter Gilder and his helpers that elevated the technique to a fine art.So best of luck Stokes and hopefully they will be completed by the summer.
Gallia said…
My Dear Stokes,
Magnificent. Prodigious. Inspiring.
Satisfactions are surely galloping your way.
Congratulations,
Bill P.
Wellington Man said…
It would be like the seventh circle of hell for someone like me to paint all that lot. They will be stunning though. Best of luck, Stokes.
Best regrds
WM
tradgardmastare said…
I really look forward to seeing these progress.
Stay safe
Alan
Mark Dudley said…
I am not sure I would be able to paint a unit this size in one go. I would probably do 8 or 12, then paint something else, before returning to the next batch.

They will look impressive once completed.
Chris Kemp said…
Don't worry about slow progress. It is a well known fact that once wargamers clear the lead pile, meaningful life is over and all that is left is the comfy chair and a nice cup of tea every four hours between trips to the loo.

Regards, Chris.
While I know comrades that's would tackle all 36 cavalry in one tranche, I take a more measured approach. A dozen 28mm cavalry at one time seems plenty to me. I would be tempted to alternate with units of less complexity to combat burnout.
I am a glutton for punishment, and probably ought to have my head examined, but what doesn't destroy us. . .

Best Regards,

Stokes
Isembourg said…
I’m building my regiments from the book Charge but I could never find the figures that Peter Young used for the iconic “ Erb Prinz Regiment” shown in colour on the dust jacket. However I have a feeling that they are from the same designer as your over strength cavalry Regiment.
Isembourg, I believe Tradition of London sells the very same figures which were used for the famous Erbprinz Regiment as featured in Charge! They are still available but a little dear in price. A more economic alternative are the Prussian grenadier figures from RSM95. The pose is remarkably similar.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a