Skip to main content

We're In the Home Stretch. . .

Needless to say, the white piping along the edges of the red tunic collars was murder to get right.  I fear it's time to have the bifocal discussion with my ophthalmologist at the next exam later this spring, blast it.


Time in the painting chair earlier this Sunday afternoon finishing up the red tunic collars piped white, and then starting on the black horizontal stripes along the scarlet lances carried by 12 of the 14 Minden Bosniaks that comprise this large squadron.  

Once that step is done, just a few touch-ups, and then onto the two coats of acrylic gloss.  I am off to visit ol' Mom and dogs for a few days at the end of the week though -- Spring Break next week -- so, let's see how far I get before the 5:30am flight Friday morning.  

I did splurge for First and/or Business Class all the way this time though.  A bit more forgiving for the knobby, middle-aged knees you understand.  With any luck, I should be in Pinehurst, North Carolina before Noon on the 28th.

-- Stokes

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
Splendid looking figures,moving forward so well. I look forward to seeing them in battle. All the best for your forthcoming trip.
marinergrim said…
Excellent work Stokes. I bought a long rigger brush for doing thin lines and am very pleased that it is that much easier.
Carnoe said…
Great to see your progress on these wonderfully exotic Bosniaks. All that careful painting is bringing out the very best in them.

I seem to be in a similar position as you when it comes to eyesight deterioration. Over the past year, I seem to have taken to painting figures by gazing underneath my glasses!
My Dear Heinz-Ulrich, Greetings!

The ophthalmic doctor I use recommended several solutions to your vision situation. The first would be a set of bifocals as you mentioned. The second might be a prescription specifically for painting and reading placed into a discrete set of glasses. The third - and least scientific but least expensive - would be what my housekeeper would refer to as "drug store glasses" which can give you a stronger lens but which would not be prescription.
I hope you had a pleasant trip to visit your mother.

With great respect and friendship,

Gerardus Magnus, Archbishop Emeritus
Wellington Man said…
These are really starting to look extraordinarily lovely, Stokes. I am in awe of your steady hand. These days wherever possible I tend to apply the piping first and then paint up to it!

Safe travels

WM

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!