Skip to main content

The Eventual Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment. . .

 

The Anhalt-Zerbst regiment musters in the drill square to sort themselves into platoons and companies during the coming weeks  Fall maneuvers if you will.

A large dose of real life the last few days with the start of classes next Monday, various preparatory meetings, and finishing up a few other things this week.  But, I managed to sort out 60 or so Minden Austrian infantry from the pile and get 'em stuck to temporary painting bases.  Must carefully drill out the hands of several NCOs for flagpoles and pole arms this weekend before the usual basecoat.  

I'm thinking of mixing the usual white gesso with the usual light gray to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.  Applying both base- and undercoat in one fell swoop as my grandmother used to say.

In the meantime, the recently finished squadron of Saxon cuirassiers has been placed carefully in one of the clear acrylic boxes on my shelves until I have the suitable flag to affix.  

-- Stokes


A Next Day P.S.

Something was not quite right.  So, I looked again into one of my plastic compartment boxes of Austrians and found two standard bearers, who will replace the two NCOs pictured at the front of the regiment, and have added an RSM95 grenadier in bearskin, who will march with the color party at their head.  

A chosen man or a higher ranking sergeant of some kind.  A Zichenauer cousin of sorts to the fabled Oberfeldwebel Klatschen.  Longtime visitors to the Grand Duchy of Stollen might remember him.  The RSM of  my version of Brigadier Young's Erbprinz Regiment, painted waaaay back in 2007, using RSM95 Prussian grenadiers.  

Anyway, the current finagling of Minden Austrians brings the figure total to 62 miniatures if we count the colonel, and the horse he rode in on as a single figure.  I think I'll base-/undercoat the first company of 19 at left tomorrow night.  Seems like a good Thursday evening activity to calm the mind before co-facilitating a program kickoff Friday morning.

By the way, have a look at Phil Dutre's latest blog entry over at Tiny Tin Men.  He's doing something that will no doubt resonate with many of you.  It certainly tickled my old school fancy.

-- S

Comments

pancerni said…
Colored undercoat, very modern & fashion forward.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!