Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #31 (Morning Update). . .

The von Ditfurth Fusiliers, a later iteration of the von Hessenstein Regiment on which half of my current grenadier battalion is based.


It's 10:15am, and I decided to shake things up this morning and came to a locally owned cafe/bookshop we are fond of for coffee and a cinnamon roll today before returning home to tackle the lawn, have a second shower, and hop back into the painting chair to finish these Minden Prussian grenadiers, painted as Wurttemburgers and Hessen-Kasselers respectively.

-------------


If you'll excuse the groundskeeper digression for just a moment, I have learned a great deal about lawn care in the last year.  One of the easy ways to improve the look of the whole thing is through frequent mowing at a fairly high setting for cool season grasses like we have in the Northern U.S.  

In May and early June, when the grass seemed to shoot up several inches virtually overnight, I cut it every two or three days.  Since summer arrived in late June, the weather warmed, and our rains became less frequent, growth has slowed somewhat, mercifully.  I cut now about every five days on the second highest setting of the Toro Timemaster, which gives everything a nicely manicured, carpet-like appearance.  About 3.75 inches in height.  

Cutting grass to a taller height, rather than as short as possible, promotes deeper root growth, which gives you stronger plants more likely to survive hotter, drier spells in the weather.  If you have the right variety of grass and train it with frequent clipping using a reel mower, it is possible to trim it to very short heights reminiscent of what you might find on golf courses.  However, scalping your grass once a week will cause your lawn to turn brown and look pretty cruddy in short order. 

Slow release organic fertilizer (Milorganite for those who are interested) a few times a season helps too.  The grass has both greened and thickened up in thinner areas pretty quickly in the last couple of months thanks to the added nitrogen, iron, and natural waste products among other fertilizer ingredients.  Since it is organic and slow release, an added benefit is that you don't burn your lawn if you miscalculate slightly in the application.

Today, we have temperatures in the 70s (Fahrenheit) with partly sunny skies, so I am looking forward to some time alone outside to putter around and mow some nice, straight diagonal stripes in the front and back yards.  Southwest to northeast today.  

Another important point I have learned -- There are scads of videos on Youtube about lawn care. -- is to vary your direction each time you cut the grass, to avoid compacting the soil and keep the millions of tiny plants from developing a lean in one particular direction.  I know, I know.  Easily entertained.  Suburban Dad syndrome my sister calls it.  

You meet someone, marry, have a child, get a mortgage, hold down a steady job, and suddenly you wake up one morning nowhere near as cool and a lot less interesting than you once might have imagined.  Class?  Class?  Wake up!

------------


But back to the toy soldiers.  I managed a couple of hours yesterday evening, working on the scabbards, hilts, and started on the sword knots, which is where I'll pick up after mowing later today.  Then it's on to the wigs/hair and queues with, hopefully, not too many touch-ups required.  I'll provide a Kodak moment photographic update with some final observations this evening once things have been finished.  I might actually squeak in a few hours ahead of the self-imposed midnight deadline.

-- Stokes

Comments

The clock is ticking!

monocultur?, tsk tsk..... I rather like the natural look. I think there's some actual sorts of grasses mixed in with the plantain, dandylions, timothy hay (we're surrouded by hayfields and forest), creeping charley and various other plants. I do try to mow every couple of weeks in spring though and at least once a month in summer......

Ross
Ed M said…
We hates yard work, we does! Nasty, icky, necessary business. It keeps us from our toys, our precious! But I digress. Ideal that the house is yours at this most crucial phase. Looking forward to the parade!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...