Skip to main content

Some Christmastime Cruisin' in the Painting Chair. . .

Except for the touching up once they are attached to their respective flagpoles, along with some judicious red and blue highlights, the squadron standards are done.  Oversized in the fine tradition of Peter Gilder and Doug Mason, who, more than any other modellers, continue to inform how I approach figure painting.


Not quite two hours in the painting chair this blustery, wet afternoon, but I've managed to get the two squadron standards to a point where I think they'll, provide a reasonable approximation of the real thing once mounted and glossed.  I used a #4 round with a good point to apply the thinned dark read and navy blue acrylics, than a brand new #1 round to dab on squiggles and lines of GW gold plus a bit of to the standard at left.  This is the first time EVER that I have attempted the painting standards BEFORE attaching them to the flagpoles.  

While far from perfect, they'll do the trick, and I'm very pleased with the results.  Live and learn as the saying goes, and I think this is the way forward when it comes to future flags, standards, and guidons.  Anyway, once carefully mounted on their flagpoles, I'll touch up the gold fringe anywhere white still shows along the edges and then add some final red and royal blue highlights before glossing figures and flags, which will probably take "a coupla three days" as we used to say in my family.

Next up, let's get the carbines attached to the troopers in the second red Wurttemberg squadron while things are on a roll.

-- Stokes

Comments

El Grego said…
Marvelous.

What material are you using for the flags?

Greg
Thank you! For these, just plain old white typing/printer paper. If I can find my pad of rice (Japanese calligraphy) paper, I'll try that next time though. Since it lacks the chemicals used in other papers, it it much easier to furl and bend once painted with acrylics and (supposedly) yields much more realistic and convincing results with flags. We'll see.

Best Regards,

Stokes
Matt said…
Very impressive results.

I cheat and buy printed ones!
Thank you, Matt! I must hang my head and admit to cheating halfway. For the last three years, what I do is copy flags I find online into MS Word, reduce their size, print them out, and paint my own acrylic colors over top of the computer ink. Kind of like children's paint by numbers kits. But the end results arre worth the tedium of doing so. My earlier efforts were definitely so-so, but these, I must admit, aren't bad at all if you'll pardon the shameless self-backslapping.

Best Regards,

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!