Skip to main content

A Few Teaser Photos of The Grand Review. . .

 The term 'groaning board' comes to mind here.  The table is 6' x 10'.  Obviously for actual games, and depending on the scenario (I like those by C.S. Grant), not all available troops would be in use, fewer buildings would be present, and a somewhat larger table might be in order too. 

  

Here's a close-up o two brigades of Stollenian infantry and a few officer vignettes with part of the pontoon and trasnport trains in the background.


At the other end of the table various light units of infantry engage each other as Saxon staff observe, some transport rumbles by, and to companies of generic pioneers/pontooniers march toward town.


Finally, a close-up o some Stollenian jaeger (painted by John Preece and featured in the Partizan 2006 Sittangbad refight) facing two companies of 'Wild Geese' in the service of Zichenau along with a company of dastardly Croats in the distance.


Back tomorrow with more photographs taken, this time, with a tripod and timer which always produce sharper pictures, but these aren't too bad for quick snaps.  It's late, and I'm off to bed.  Nighty-night.

-- Stokes

Comments

nobby said…
A magnificent body of chaps, Sir.
I almost expect to hear the "Huzzah" and see the hats flying in the air.
Conrad Kinch said…
Magnificent!
Anonymous said…
An impressive display of figures, terrain and buildings. Great fun looking at the pictures.
Simon
Paul Liddle said…
You have a lot of soldiers there Stokes, fantastic!.
My Dear Heinz-Ulrich, Greetings,

A simply marvelous display! Congratulations. You can really note the excellent brushwork when you click on them in the blog and their image fills the screen.

My very best regards,

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus
Peter Douglas said…
Oh you tease - go on give us a smile and show us more!
Old Nick said…
Outstanding! Looking forward to the entire review.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!