Skip to main content

Newly -- Or Is it Finally? -- Rebased Leib (Grand Duchess Sonja's Own) Grenadiers. . .

At long last, they occupy precision cut bases.  Look closely, and you see drummers and sergeants in a third rank.  Two new Minden standard bearers and standards to follow, but for the sake of this photograph, the MiniFig standard bearer lurks at the rear of the line.

Managed to find enough time this sunny and cool Sunday afternoon to rebase a second infantry unit in the Grand Duchy of Stollen collection.  This time, it is the Leib (Grand Duchess Sonja's Own) Grenadiers, RSM95 Prussians given to me for Christmas 2006 by my wife and painted during the winter and spring of '07.  

They are my take on Brigadier Peter Young's original Leib Grenadiers as seen in the pages of Charge! Or How to Play War Games (1967) and a later version of the same unit fielded by John Preece in the now legendary Sittangbad refight at Partizan in May of 2006. 

Next up, another bunch of bases to paint and another unit of infantry to rebase.  I think my hobby mojo might (just might) be returning somewhat.

-- Stokes

Comments

A magnificent regiment!
Stokes I have always admired the 'look' that you gave this unit of RSM. I honestly thought they were Stadden figures when I first saw them. They are a cracking looking unit.
marinergrim said…
And very smart they look too sir.
Stryker said…
They really do look stunning and the bases show them off perfectly!
Paul Liddle said…
Stunning, I think they are my favourite.
My Dear Heinz Ulrich, Greetings,

it is wonderful to see that you have returned with newly found enthusiasm for your hobby. There will be many moments when grading papers, preparing lectures or writing tests will take away from this relaxing time. So - seize the moment. Your figures look wonderful and they will provide you with many a moment of hobby based tranquility later in the year.

My best regards,

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus
Anonymous said…
Classic and beautifully done.
Simon
A fine looking regiment. Guardsmen from pompom to toes.
Thank you, men! Still my favorite wargames regiment of all time.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...