Skip to main content

Christmas Coffee Blend. . .

Not one of ours, but we observed both cats lounging for quite some time yesterday evening beneath the larger of our two Christmas trees.  They seem to be very interested in the the aroma of the tree and in the spectacle of the white lights and glass ornaments.  Thus far, no attempts to make off with anything or climb up the tree.

Enjoying an early morning mug of Starbuck's (I know, I know) dark Christmas blend at the moment.  following a haircut for the Young Master and myself later this morning, I've got final grades to tally and enter for the semester just ended.  With any luck, that will be finished by supper, and then there are some gifts to wrap this evening.


The situation at the close of Move One.  That's General von Tschatschke heading to the local tavern for a refresher.


In the meantime, you can observe the situation after Move One in the Raid on Fickmuhlen currently being fought between Greg Horne and yours truly.  We are using Greg's collection of vintage Spencer Smiths and playing via email although Greg is sending me short digital video updates as well.  The game is a variation of Sawmill Village with both forces attempting to take and hold the village.  My troops are in the foreground with General von Tschatschke himself attempting to get a  table at the local tavern The Elector's Arms from where he can direct the battle while imbibing some of the local ale.  Shades of Inspector Morse you know.

-- Stokes



Comments

Conrad Kinch said…
Watch that Horne. He's a wily opponent.
Ross MacFarlane has agreed to take the reins of the Alzheimer force, placing Greg solely in the umpire's seat. Should be an interesting ride. I do hope Mrs. Kinch has recovered from the attack if M-Isis last week.

Best Regards,

Stokes
Anonymous said…
A the pleasure of the snug. The good General should watch out the ale and food don't get the better of him.
Unknown said…
I look forward to the story unfolding. Great to see simple unfussy terrain (your Blog Stokes has inspired me to have the same approach)and also the old Airfix pub...haven't seen one of those for years!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Best regards,
Simon

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...