Skip to main content

The Second Night's Painting. . .

Here's where we are with the current 23 figures as of midday Friday.

Managed to squeeze in a couple of painting sessions last night, a longer one followed by a shorter one later.  As indicated in my last post, I have managed to complete the application of fleshtone, Yellow Ochre, and Ivory Black to the requisite areas of the regimental command (lurking in the background) and the Kurmainz grenadiers in the foreground.  Very pleased with the Yellow Ochre on the breeches now that it has dried.  It looks less tan than I feared while applying it and more mustardy yellow, which is what I hoped.  Just fine.  

Next up, judicious damp-brushing of white onto the coats -- taking care to leave plenty of the tan undercoat showing around the edges -- and then Sap Green on the facings, turnbacks, waistcoats, and bags hanging from the bearskins.  Then, it will be time to begin picking out smaller details with the usual Citadel and Ral Partha acrylics.  If I'm not careful, these might be almost done before Monday next week.  Keep your fingers and toes crossed!

The four regimental command figures will be painted to represent the four contingents that will eventually make up this 80-figure  monster regiment.  So, the mounted colonel will also sport the uniform of the Kurmainz regiment (more or less), while the other three figures will have uniforms based on those worn by the contingents of Saxe-Hildeburghausen, Saxe-Coburg, and Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. . .  a.k.a. the Ernestisch Saxon infantry.  You can read about them in some considerable detail at the Kronoskaf Project Seven Years War website.

Otherwise, the Grand Duchess and Young Master are baking a batch of blueberry muffins upstairs in the kitchen, and the house smells delightful.  Looking forward to enjoying a couple of this a bit later with them. Tomorrow, we take down he Christmas trees and put everything away.  A bit sad, yes, but it will be nice to have everything straight once again, put away, and the floors vacuumed and/or swiffered.

-- Stokes

Comments

My Dear Heinz-Ulrich,

Ah, the ambition and accomplishments of the young! What a splendid look for this first contingent...this, of course, can go marching off and enter the first actions of the next campaign. The later sections of this regiment will come forth as they move off the painting assembly line. Have great fun enjoying the process of finishing this wonderful unit.
Once again a Happy New Years!
Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus
Scheck said…
Good progress in one night! I wish good appetite with the cookies!!
All the best
Peter

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!