Skip to main content

Just Enough Time to Draw a Breath. . .

The desk of an 18th century gentleman.  I like the absence of a keyboard and computer screen although the three-cornered hat might take some getting used to.

Although summer vacation began for the Grand Duchess and I with the close of May Term last Friday, May 31st, things have been rather busy here at Stollen Central lately.  Soldier painting has taken a backseat for a few weeks, and I've been hard at work churning out a couple of articles.  Finished the first one this past weekend and sent it on to the parties concerned.  Now, it's time to begin the next, a working draft of which must be done and sent off for consideration by midnight this Saturday the 8th.  Whew!  

And then there is the translation project. . .   which I plan to do during our upcoming three-week visit to Mexico since the publisher would, ideally, like it finished and submitted by July 1st.  Keep in mind, I've been asking for months to have the materials forwarded to me and about a deadline, but it wasn't until very recently that I was sent the documents in the original language (Norwegian, of course), and almost as an afterthought, the July 1st date dropped in my lap.  Why in the heck didn't they send me this stuff back in December or January like we discussed originally?  So now, it looks very much like our vacation will be a working vacation of sorts.  Isn't that the way?

No matter.  It will still be nice to visit with good ol' Mom and enjoy the sounds of Spanish all around us in the city, delicious Yucatecan food, and trips to the coast for late lunches.  And then there is the swimming pool at Mom and Step-Dad's home Casa de Mariposa.  So, I suppose I shouldn't complain too loudly.  We leave on June 11th and will be away until the end of the month.  And by then, I should be seriously ready to paint some more figures.  

Especially since the recently shared photographs over on the Fife & Drum Miniatures blog of French artillery by Minden Miniatures and some Valliere 4pdr. cannon by F&D have given me the itch once more to pick up a paintbrush.  Haven't decided what I might tackle just yet, but there's plenty of time in the interim.  And plenty of unpainted metal and plastic here in Zum Stollenkeller.  Not like I need to purchase anymore of THAT for the time being.  See you in a few weeks everyone! 

Comments

Conrad Kinch said…
Enjoy your holiday Stokes and as for getting material from people, I think that is an eternal problem.
Enjoy your vacation! I remember how much I looked forward to someplace warm where I did not have to think or do anything while I was teaching - particularly the twenty plus years at the university! Vacations are a good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing your new painted stuff when you return.
Jerry
A/K/A The Celtic Curmudgeon
Thank you, Conrad! Yes, I agree heartily on the latter point. Why can't these people get their acts together and send the darn stuff when they say they will? Grrr. . .

Best Regards,

Stokes
Bloggerator said…
Felicidades!

Hasta lluego hombre,

Gregorio
Esther Pavao said…
I absolutely love this picture!!! Would you mind if I borrowed it for a historical novel cover? (And gave you credit, of course.)

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a