Skip to main content

It's December 23rd. . . Happy Festivus!

Frank Costanza says, "I got a lot of problems with you people.  And now you're gonna hear about it!"  Happy Festivus everyone!

It's amazing what a day of rest and a meal will do.  I feel as close to normal today as I ever expect to come, so let's get back to the pre-Christmas preparations.


Here's a more traditional seasonal image now, another old Christmas card, featuring Father Christmas wearing a wreath of holly around his head.  I keep meaning to plant a holly bush in our back yard somewhere.  A neighbor has one, and it looks beautiful right now.


 First off, December 23rd is, as some of you might recall, Festivus.  I was surprsied to learn recently that this was not just something dreamed up by the writers of Seinfeld as I had thought for many years.  Festivus is indeed real, at least for some.  Click on Happy Festivus to learn more about this enigmatic holiday.

And here is another vintage image of Father Christmas, once more in green robes with brown fur.


On other fronts, the four wooden trucks for the Young Master are just about finished.  I've got wheels on three of them and expect to finish up everything this evening.  They aren't quite as detailed as I might otherwise like, but he'll recognize then for what they are.  I'll post a photograph this evening.

And here is a more recent rendering an old-fashioned Father Christmas that I found on some corner of the internet some while ago.  He fits well into the spirit of this here on the GD of S blog at the moment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!