Skip to main content

All Quiet on the Midwestern Front. . .

Happy Easter from the Grand Duchy of Stollen!

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone who routinely visits and/or follows the Grand Duchy of Stollen blog.  No, I have not fallen from the edge of the earth or anything given the weeks of relative inactivity here.  Just a lot going on at the moment. 

Over on the painting desk, the Minden hussars wait patiently while a couple of hobby-related projects have taken precedence since our return from Mexico a month ago.  Can't really say anymore about this right now, but keep your eyes and ears open for further developments in the months to come.

What else?  Well, factor in a new film course that I've been developing with a colleague, the end of the spring semester, plus the usual family things, and it's been rather busier than I would like these last several weeks.  Sadly, as I discovered at 20 when I went to work full-time, managing the dairy department in a large supermarket -- Just try to picture a very thin, long-haired Stokes doing that! -- there aren't enough hours in the day to do absolutely everything.  

Fortunately, there is still a bit of time now and again for music, and thanks to the understanding and support of the fair Grand Duchess, my amateur rock and roll band, The Indras, continues to practice once a week and play out two-four times a month for pretty decent money these days.  A related activity that has taken up some time the last few weeks has been the design of our new website, by yours truly, along with getting it online and fine-tuning everything.  Just click on our name above to be transported, via the magic of the internet, to the website in question, which explains everything in greater detail.  I'm the guy in the black turtleneck and glasses on the left, playing a vintage 1963 Hofner bass!

A special thank-you to my followers, who now number 99!  I know from my statistics page that there are quite a few more of you who drop by every few days, so a tip of the hat to you as well.  It seems that I have written something like 835 entries here since starting the Grand Duch of Stollen blog in mid-August 2006.  Hard to believe there is that much to say about things like family life, skiing, bicycling, travel, music, teaching, table manners, and, oh yes, wargaming.  Anyway, here's to at least a few hundred more posts before the ol' fingers drop off. 

Finally, please do continue to check in here during the coming weeks.  I'm teaching a May Term film course, but things should calm down and return to normal before long, which means a little more time for soldier painting, wargaming, and nattering on about it here.  Stay tuned.  Have a good day everyone, and Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate! 

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
And a Happy Easter to you and your household from all at the Duchy of Tradgardland.
Alan
Fitz-Badger said…
By coincidence I used a similar title for my latest post at the Soweiter League, as I've also been busy with "real life" and had little to report in the gaming world.
Hopefully we can both find a little more time for painting and gaming and such in the coming months!
Mosstrooper said…
May I take this oppertunity to nominate you for 'The Stylish Bloggers Award'

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...