Skip to main content

Small Painting Update. . .

I've gone an done it. Yep, I've sent an order to Frank Hammond for 30 of his new Prussian hussars plus an extra officer and another trumpeter to provide staff for Stollen's cavalry brigade.


Spent a productive hour last night working on that second batch of 16 Huzzah musketeers. For the most part, I painted brass bits: cartridge pouch badges, sword hilts and scabbard tips, plus the band that holds the barrels to the musket stocks. Next, my attention turned toward painting in the red strap on the figures' left shoulders, between the shouldered musket and necks. I then spent the remaining 15 minutes of so touching up any black areas that needed it, for example gaiters, cartridge pouches, and hats. Tonight, it's onto the musket stocks, barrels, and bayonets. Barring any mishaps with the brush, these figures will then be about done save for my usual two coats of Future/Klear acrylic floor finish. Only 16 figures will remain to complete for this unit then. I'll hold off on any more photographs until the current batch is all done though.

Next, I must admit to failing ultimately in my self-imposed moratorium on additional figure purchases that I have observed since last summer. Yes, I bent as far as I could, but in the end Frank Hammond's new Prussian hussars won out, and I sent him an order for 30 of the little darlings just a short while ago. Jim "Alte Fritz" Purky's recently completed single figure, depicting one of Fredrick's Black Hussars above, didn't help matters either, so what's a guy to do? That's right, bow to extreme peer pressure and follow suit!

However, my hussars will receive a different paint scheme than Jim's. I found a Knoetel illustration online somewhere of a hussar from one or another of the less significant German statelettes involved in the Seven Years War, on which I'll base my painting. If memory serves me correctly, yellow figures prominently in much of that particular uniform example, and there may be some blue and/or red present as well. But I'll need to check my computer file when the time comes to paint these. In any case, the new Minden hussar figures will replace a couple of squadrons and staff that I painted two years ago, using Revell plastics. Those were nice figures, but awfully small next to some of the others in my collection. From remarks Jim Purky has made in recent blog posts, the Minden figures are very close in size and proportion to the RSM95, which are beginning to form the bulk of my own Grand Duchy of Stollen collection.


The next morning. . .

Last night, I painted the bayonets, musket barrels, and firelocks the usual silver on those 16 Huzzah figures. Yes, I know, I know. A bit theatrical and not strictly realistic for gun metal, but it suits the rest of my painting style well. Just musket stocks, sword knots, and white button lace on the front of the coats left to paint, and tally ho! We're all ready for the two coats of Future/Klear. If that weren't encouraging enough. this morning, an e-mail was waiting from Frank Hammond, acknowledging receipt of my hussar order, informing me to look for an invoice shortly, and that the order would be assembled and sent off tomorrow. Can't wait to see these figures in the flesh since they look so good in all of the photographs I've seen on Frank's Minden blog and others. Needless to say, it's terribly exciting!

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes, I know that Jim was upset because the Hussars came with a mix of horses . . . some with legs bunched, some with legs stretched.

Now that is the sort of mix I personally like with Hussars . . . but if you prefer horses all having the same type of legs, be sure to specify that to Frank.


-- Jeff
Frank said…
And where exactly did Jim say he was upset by the mix of horses Jeff? Certainly not on his blog!
Der Alte Fritz said…
Not true Jeff. I like the variety of horse poses, especially for light cavalry. I think that you may have misread something or drawn the wrong conclusion. Oh well, it happens

I may mix the legs bunched and stretched on the same two horse stand to create the image of action. :)
Der Alte Fritz said…
He, he, he, he, he :)

You should buy some musketeers or grenadiers too while you are at it. Come on Stokes, you know you want some Minden infantry too and you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get some. The pound is below 1.50 so anything bought from the UK is a great deal.
marinergrim said…
Interesting that you are happy to paint metallics within the main painting scheme. My preference has always been to leave the metallic paints until last purely because of the need to avoid metal flakes in the wash water that may then transfer to the flat paints.
Minden figures are lovely though aren't they? I only avoid the temptation because I'm not a current customer!
Frank said…
Grimsby Mariner - Then get in touch and become one :-)))

Stokes - I'll pop a couple of sample infantry figures in with your order /wink :-)
A J said…
Sigh! The Siren Call of Shiny Figures. What gamer can resist for long? I'm looking forward to seeing the new hussars in all their finery.
guy said…
First congratulations on wobbling and buying some of these figures. The hussars are hugely tempting. I have painted a couple of squadrons of the Prussian 7th hussar regiment which may be worth a look - predominently yellow with light blue breeches etc. A good contrast to all that black. I am certain the unform experts here will be able to recommend other units to consider.

regards,
Guy

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a