Skip to main content

Just a quiet day here at Stollen Central. . .

I really like these old, simpler Christmas cards from years gone by.


Nothing terribly exciting going on here today, which is not a bad thing. So, a well-deserved quiet day for all here. Finally finished my grading and submitted course grades yesterday before painting for a while in the evening and then taking over "Paul Duties" for a good part of the evening and very early morning. The Indras, my 1950s rockabilly, rock and roll, and R&B band has practice this evening -- Check out our latest recordings by visiting our MySpace page link at right, entitled On Fire in Der Stollenkeller -- and maybe, just maybe Paul will permit some painting later in the evening. Shopping is almost finished, we'll get and decorate the trees tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to the annual Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols on BBC Radio 4 come Christmas Eve next week. We also have a ginger bread house to assemble for Paul at some point in the next week. It is indeed truly a wonderful time of year here at Stollen Central.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!