Skip to main content

Christmas Goodies. . .


One of the nicest, most delicious parts of the Christmas holiday period has to do with all of the various cookies and foods that we make and consume during these few weeks in December and early January. With that in mind, today's Yuletide illustration shows a Victorian-era Christmas pudding. Once about 25 years ago, my maternal grandmother, whose parents came to the United States from Cornwall in the U.K. during the late 19th Century, made a Christmas pudding. It looked lovely, but the pudding was a bit scorched (and tasted that way) after it was flambeed. Haven't had a Christmas pudding since then. Hmmmm. I wonder if the Grand Duchess might. . .

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
If you ask politely perhaps the Grand Duchess might just bake you . . . another stollen.

Stokes, "when it ain't broke, don't fix it".


-- Jeff
Conrad Kinch said…
Is Christmas Pudding not normally eaten in the United States?
guy said…
Astounded. We will have to arrange for an airlift of a christmas pudding. It is the season of office functions etc and on monday I had what I call a double dinner day ie lunch and dinner - yes you have guessed it, two turkey dinners, two christmas puds etc. I now realise why the Edwardians were all like barrels. I reckon on only three more until the actual Christmas day.

Regards,
Guy

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!