Skip to main content

Battle of the Toys. . .

No, not the long (and sadly) defunct wargaming magazine from the 1970s, but the battle between the Nutcracker and the Rat King. Isn't it called the Battle of the Toys, or something like that? At any rate, I looked around for a picture of said battle some weeks ago when I compiled all of these illustrations and photographs that I've been featuring here, but I wasn't able to turn up much. However, I finally found the above picture by typing simply "rat king" and lo and behold. . . Here we are! I like this picture because the Rat King and nutcracker look suitably ferocious and determined respectively.

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes,

I like it too . . . as I've enjoyed all of these illustrations.

It is snowing heavily here today on Vancouver Island. They predicted "light snow" and 10-15cm (4-6") . . . but we've already hit that and it is now snowing more heavily now . . . and they've changed the prediction to "heavy snow".

So even if you don't, we will have plenty of snow for cross-country skiing . . . too bad we don't ski any more.


-- Jeff
Capt Bill said…
Very cute indeed!...Bill
Bluebear Jeff said…
Bring your skis, Stokes, we've got close to a foot of new snow . . . and it just keeps coming.

Also, with the photos you're taking and the accounts you're writing, do you think that you might have another article for BATTLEGAMES before you're done? Henry might be interested (since it is a BATTLEGAMES scenario).


-- Jeff
Fitz-Badger said…
"We're" getting some snow here in southern California! The high today where I live was only 45 and I'm not at a high elevation. The mountains are getting snowed in and the freeways, highways and other roads over the mountains to the north are or were all closed for a while (not sure if they're opened yet). Then after tomorrow I'll be off to Milwaukee for the holidays, enjoying a brisk and white Christmas I believe.
Anonymous said…
Love all the pics Stokes. They give your blog a real Christmasy feel. Unfortunately, we haven't got any snow here in the UK, well not where I live up in the north of England. Shame really, I for one, would appreciate a snap of what we're missing.

Steve

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!