Skip to main content

On the Eve of Battle. . .

Pickelhaubewicz seen from the southeast. It is thought that the Stollenian troops, under Colonel Hans Peter von Grundig, who surveys the field alone, will approach from this direction.


Another view of Pickelhaubewicz, looking to the southeast this time. A local farmer who was questioned earlier this evening believes that a Zichenauer force, led by Major Wolfgang von Hirschbiegel, will apprach the village from the southwest, just off to the right of this artist's rendering of the field.


Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
It looks good, Stokes. A nice clean table with some interesting-looking terrain.


-- Jeff
Thanks Jeff! I'm just itching for the game to start tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned!

Have a nice night,

Stokes
tradgardmastare said…
Stokes
Cool field of Mars - well worth all your hard work! Have a great game and I await ( like many others I imagine) despatches from the front...
Stokes - I'm more than a little looking forward to this... :o))

My regular opponent (DG) is away for three or four months and if I'm to get a game then we shall be adopting the same approach as you... please give as many details as possible on the mechanics of how you exchange moves as you go along...

Bonne chance...
Stryker said…
Hi Stokes - Your scenery is excellent and truly Old School. Good luck...

Ian
In the tent of Major Wolfgang von Hirschbiegel, a small group of officers gathers.

"Gentlemen, no doubt you are wondering for what cause you have been drawn from your parent units. You have each been selected to serve our beloved Zichenau as a part of the vanguard of our forces as we once again advance against the Stollenian usurpers. Today the eyes of the whole army and the Princess shall be upon us. It is a time for steel and glory, Gentlemen. If you will observe the map, here. We march for Pickelhaubewicz, to secure this crossroads for the advance of the victorious forces of Zichenau. Doubtless the craven von Drosselmaier shall dispatch some small delaying force to cover his retreat, but we shall defeat them by force of arms and lay open the way to the capital for our beloved Princess. On for Zichenau! Assemble your commands, we march within the hour."
Fitz-Badger said…
I like the old-school style of your setup! Now I have 10 more posts to catch up on to follow this battle! :-)
Anonymous said…
Prewar landscapes are so beautiful and peaceful. Alas, carnage awaits those then-peaceful fields.

Popular posts from this blog

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!