Skip to main content

This could become habit forming!

Yesterday was another lovely, cloudy winter’s day with some snow on the ground and ice in the trees. There was ice all over the ground too, which made walking outside hazardous! So, it was best to stay inside and observe it all from the warmth of the breakfast table where the Grand Duchess and I had another late breakfast.

Nevertheless, we braved the elements for a 3PM Christmas concert on the nearby Illinois Wesleyan University campus, followed by a housewarming party given by the featured singer, a close friend and colleague of Sonja’s. We stayed for about an hour, returning home early because we had some work to take care of – Sonja is grading a bunch of student papers while I’m writing some case studies for a client.


The day ended on an especially cheery note with the arrival of the student carolers about 8PM – about 20 young men and women, who serenaded us with several Christmas classics from the front lawn of our old building as we listened through an open window of our third floor apartment/flat.
And just like this same weekend last year, it was a joyful way to lead into the Christmas season. On top of everything, I managed to squeeze in a little time to work on the soldiers too. What a nice weekend it's been!

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
It was torrential rain rather than snow - proceeded by sleat. Oh for the snow of my youth. Tonight is very cold and frosty with a clear sky. A beautiful early morning walk to the train station is on the cards tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!