Skip to main content

A Few Stollen Moments

Well, after I finish my post-dinner cup of coffee and then do the dishes, I think I'll sit down and get in some painting on the RSM95 grenadiers sitting over on the painting desk. Inspired by the arrival and vicarious excitement of Jonathan's own RSM95 Prussians over at Hesse-Engelburg, I feel the need to get moving and finish that first 1/3 and a bit of Stollen's Leib (Grand Duchess of Sonja's Own ) Grenadiers. The Grand Duchess actually has a couple of commitments over at the university this evening, so, I'll have some time to fill. . . Actually, I'm just avoiding a batch of student papers that need reading and grades assigned :-(

Next, thanks to Phil Olley for his kind remarks in his latest Broadside update over at Phil's War Cabinet. And he's also been kind enough to supply a link to the Grand Duchy of Stollen, Principality of Saxe-Bearstein, and a few other fictitious 18th century places. Looks like we're stars now Jeff! ;-) All kidding aside, Phil had some interesting observations about imaginary campaigns, mentioning some notes he committed to paper back in 2003, which he entitled "Forward to the Past". Phil, if you're reading this, how about posting those notes sometime over at OSW in the Files section? It would be neat to see your thoughts in more detail.

Last, have a look at Mike Cannon's blog at http://www.miniaturewars.com/, where you can feast your eyes up his latest batch of Spencer Smith infantry. This time, Mike's painted up a whole bunch of white-coated grenadiers, which are part of a larger eventual regiment. Can't wait to see the whole unit lined up! And Mike, you might consider sending some photos of your figures to share in the "Gallery' section of the Spencer Smith website next to some of Henry Hyde's (and a few others') figures.

Anyway, it's really neat to see all of these different guys around the world using various old figure lines around which they create imaginary armies, campaigns, belligerent states, the personalities, and narratives that go with them. Hats off to you gentlemen! It's great to be part of it.


Comments

MiniWargamer said…
Thanks for the idea on sharing the photos with SSM. Hadn't thought of that.
Bluebear Jeff said…
Wow! Reading down did you see that Phil, Charles Grant Jr., Stuart Asquith and other luminaries will be refighting Mollwitz (ala The War Game) with the very figures and scenery which the Grants used for the book!

Too bad I'll be many thousands of miles away . . . it would be a great thing to observe.


-- Jeff
Well, it's only fair that my work prompted you to dig in and paint more, because your painting did a lot to prompt me into getting the RSM95 figures in the first place. :>

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!