Skip to main content

Breaking News from Spencer Smith Miniatures!

Jonathan, the man behind Hesse-Engelburg, inquired the other day at the OSW Yahoo discussion forum whether or not Spencer Smith figures would work with RSM’s. Dig around in the photos over at OSW. There are a couple of photos originally posted by Henry Hyde, which give a good answer to that question.

Spencer Smith infantry figures stand at about 30mm base to eye. Cavalry are proprtionately taller, standing at about 40mm from base of horse to eye of trooper.
As long as you do not combine the two ranges in the same unit, I think they will work fine on the table top, so long as they are kept in distinct units. Henry’s photos show that the Spencer Smith miniatures are very similar in stature to the RSM’s, though perhaps just a wee bit shorter. The sculpting style between the two ranges is rather different though.

On a related note, Spencer Smith has just added to its range of 18th century figures. Although designated as War of Austrian Succession, many would be appropriate for use in other wars of the period given the nondescript sculpting of these miniatures. Best of all, the new range includes a really nice officer with a spontoon, a better flag bearer, an infantry figure without turned up skirts, mounted staff, and a host of other potentially very useful figures, which can be used to augment the earlier, rather limited 18th century range.


Check the new releases from Spencer Smith out at:


http://www.spencersmithminiatures.co.uk/ssm/ssmc18th.html


For Spencer Smith devotees, this is indeed exciting news. Though I’m using primarily plastic 1/72 figures by Revell AG, I might just have to put in a request for a unit of Spencer Smith cavalry or infantry for the next birthday or Christmas when the time comes.


Finally, thanks to everyone for your votes and comments regarding the next unit to receive its uniforms here in the Grand Duchy of Stollen. I’ll give it a full week, so everyone who wishes to can cast his or her vote for which unit I’ll paint after completion of the RSM95 figures.


And now, GDS-TV concludes its broadcast day. Transmissions are now closing. Programming will resume tomorrow morning at 8AM. Good night. (Grand Duchy of Stollen anthem begins and plays to conclusion in the background as the Grand Duke Irwin Amadeus II is shown atop his favorite horse, "Sugar Cube"). Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. . . (test pattern).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!