Skip to main content

What's the Attraction???

I've been pondering the attraction of imaginary countries, armies, uniforms, and campaigns during the last several days. It seems that increasingly many of us are doing something like this in their respective corners of the world.

The latest person to succumb to the dark side is OSW member Andy Pattison, who wrote in his thread over at OSW that he too will go with BIG batallions and (very probably) rely on 15mm MiniFigs for the bulk of his troops. Bravo Andy! But I'm still left wondering, "Why?" What is it about this particular sub-branch of the wargaming hobby that grabs so many of us by the collar and apparently reinvigorates our efforts and interests?

There must be a host of possible replies out there. For me, I think it goes back to when I played D&D in high school in the early 1980s (the Basic game, NOT Advanced D&D). As dungeon master (basically the person who designs and runs each gaming session/campaign), I always got a real kick out of developing fictitious worlds, characters, situations, etc. This was actually more fun than playing the game with my classmates and friends, who often missed the literary and folkloric references woven into each adventure. But I digress.

About 1984-85, however, I concluded that Napoleonic history was more interesting in the longer term than halflings and orcs, so I put all of my energies and spare time into my 15mm Waterloo Napoleonics for many years. Until December 2005, that is, when I stumbled onto the OSW discussion board, all thought of doing anything else was ignored. Then I was bitten by the bug. . .

So why is my imaginary 18th century corner of Europe so engrossing to me? Well, creating imaginary armies enables me to combine the best of both worlds -- a love for creating characters, situations, and conflicts combined with a love of military history, horse and musket tactics along with a fascination with heraldry and "uniformology". Is there a legitimate term for the study of uniforms? Anyway, it's all about indulging my creative needs and aspirations. So, I guess you could say that I've come almost full circle with the Grand Duchy of Stollen project. Funny, this little journey took only about 25+ years!

But what about the rest of you who develop imaginary armies and countries? The era and type of army don't matter. What is it specifically that fires your imagaination? And why might this approach be preferable to going the historical route and painting up "real" armies that fought at, say, Leuthen, Valmy, Wavre, the Alma, or Koeniggratz for instance? Anyone out there care to supply a fairly detailed answer?

Comments

I already responded to this one over on the OSW group. But it's a good question, and you bring out an interesting angle in that it not only indulges the writing side, as I mentioned, but for many may bring back some of the imagination they exercised as kids/youth. Which perhaps brings us back to the "wargaming as organized playing with toy soldiers for big kids".

Also, the Duchy has an emissary over on my blog, as well. :)
Mr. Fox said…
Hmm....the question is a hard one! I believe that those of us who creat our own nations just LOVE history SO much that we feel the need to creat our own worlds...

At least that is the way I feel about it!


DwarfMan
Prince Henry of Anthro-Paphburg:
http://anthropaphburncivilwars.blogspot.com/
MurdocK said…
But what about the rest of you who develop imaginary armies and countries?

I think that, not unlike your point about 'desire' to express our imagination in a personal matter, it also allow us to place a 'personal stamp' on the nature of the troops 'nominally' under our command. This will, over time, cause them to have more personality (at least that we are aware of).

What is it specifically that fires your imagaination?

The moment of closing my eyes after seeing the tabletop in action and 'seeing' the action that is being simulated on the tabletop, smelling the powder, sweat and horse leathers, tasting the stale bread and jug of wine afterwards!

I have done 'single battle' actions so many times now that they are dull. It takes the 'bigger picture' to bring more to the table, a 'reason' to battle if you will. It is this desire for the tabletop actions to have more meaning than a poker hand...

And why might this approach be preferable to going the historical route and painting up "real" armies that fought at, say, Leuthen, Valmy, Wavre, the Alma, or Koeniggratz for instance?

I have started with the 'real' armies approach, found it interesting and educational, not to metntion fun in learning loads about the period and personalities. That said the concept of fictional countries allows for departure from the historical norms, and this is where the appeal lies I think.

Anyone out there care to supply a fairly detailed answer?

I cannot clearly answer this one, other than the 'personal stamp' idea...perhaps I can go over more of this from my own blog at:
http://murdocksmarauders.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a