Skip to main content

And So The Work Continues. . .

I fixed my problematic flag last night by painting over the center in orange again. Then, I got busy and painted a light blue ring around the orange lozenge and gold grenades outlined in black in each arm of the large orange cross. Despite no center design, the flag – excuse me, the “standard” – looks interesting and eye catching. I might simply leave it as is.

My next two units, soaked and later scrubbed in soapy water on Saturday and Sunday this passed weekend, were all dry yesterday, so I examined them more closely and began trimming the mold lines off one of the firing musketeers. Unlike the marching pose figures that now make up the 2nd (Von Laurenz) Musketeers, there seems to be considerably less flash and mold line to trim carefully away from this batch, even though they are from the same sprues!

I’ll organize the new batch of figured – 43 figures total – into two units. First, a 32-figure unit, according to Young and Lawford, which will eventually become the Jaeger zu Fuss battalion in the Grand Duchy of Stollen’s tiny army.

Next, the other group of 13 figures is an artillery company (12 men plus a mounted colonel), who will become the artillery of same army. I’ve ordered some MiniFig 25mm field guns from Tom Dye at GFI in Colorado since the guns that came with the sets of Revell 1/72 SYW Austrian Artillery are inadequate.

Now, while it might seem odd pairing 1/72 (nominally 20mm) with 25mm equipment, the situation is not as problematic as it might seem. The Revell figures measure 25-26mm from base to brow and are markedly taller than other manufacturers’ 1/72 figures. Since MiniFigs have not been affected by scale creep as much as certain other newer manufacturers, it seems like there will be little if any discrepancy. I’ll let you know once the guns (along with some mounted generals and ADCS) arrive.

In any case, a look through Charge! shows that Young and Lawford’s armies contained figures from several manufacturers. When viewed in mass though any slight difference in figure size is not readily apparent. I might even persuade myself to paint up a few mounted RSM figures I ordered as samples last winter although they are considerably taller and heftier than my Revell figures. It does seem a shame to relegate these charming miniatures to the “extras box”!

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
By all means, paint those RSM cavalry figures.

Either that or send them to me! The army of Saxe-Bearstein can always use more cavalry.

I've got my flag patterns posted at my blog . . . but I haven't been able to paint any of my RSM figures because we are in the process of moving (meaning everything, including my paints, is in storage).

*sigh*


-- Jeff
http://saxe-bearstein.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a