Skip to main content

Basic Horse Tack Finished (Whew!). . .

 



A long way to go before these approach anything like "finished", but at least the miles of horse tack have their basic black coat.  The martingales, in particular (the strap running from the girth around the ribs between the front legs), were an absolute bear to paint.  Even with a very small 000 brush.  I still managed to get black paint all over the GD place and had to come back later to cover up those many blotches with the various browns used for the horse flesh itself. 

Not fun. 

July was a discouraging month as a result, hence the break of several week's duration that stretched into August.  Sometimes I find that the best remedy for hobby frustration is to do other things for a while and just. . .  take a break.  Easy enough to do during the summer months.  Climbing back onto the horse now though (ahem).

On that note, I've used Army Painter 'Fur Brown' and Vallejo 'Mahogany Brown' for the chestnuts, and Vallejo 'Chocolate Brown' for the two of three bays.  The Army Painter color is lighter than I'd like though.  Moving forward,  I won't use it for horses, restricting myself to the other two browns.  Musicians will, of course, get the usual grays with maybe an odd black or brown and white piebald horse sprinkled into the mix for hussars and officers. 

But back to this first batch of Minden Austrian hussars for a moment.  The trumpeter's horse is a basic charcoal gray for now. It will have a dappling effect applied with a small sponge later in the painting process.

All well and good, Stokes, but what's next?  Well, why make things any easier on myself?  I think I'll take a stab at the mustaches and hair/queues.  Glutton for punishment that I apparently am.

Still, Happy Sunday everyone! And thank you again for checking in as and when the spirit seizes you to do so.  I think another mug of coffee now will suit me nicely on this dark, cool, and rainy late summer's day.

-- Stokes




Comments

Fitz-Badger said…
I always thought horses were fun to paint. It was all of the tack that was a pain in the horse.
I've never liked painting troops, but on the whole liked the results (I'm the same way with cooking). I've tended not to worry overmuch about horse colouring; almost any shade of brown, tan or beige will do for me for bays, chestnuts, duns and what have you. I have a particular fondness for the red-browns you get on sorrels. Where I do have a difficulty is getting that creamy white mains and tails on some chestnuts.

Horse tack is a pain, especially as the colour of leather is not usually all that distinguishable from the horse itself. The worst bit is the bridle - all the straps around the face and head. Extremely fiddly.
Cheers,
Ion
tradgardmastare said…
Horses, never sure where l stand on painting them. Well to be honest l find them and their harness a pain at times.
Andrew Bruce said…
Hi Stokes,

Good to see you back at the workbench! Taking a summer break to clear the mind is proper wise—there’s no point turning a hobby into a chore. Sorting out those horse browns and testing colours is all part of the process, and the dappled grey trumpeter horse sounds like it’s going to look superb once finished. Grab another coffee and keep at it!

All the best, Andy
Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive words. Pondering the hussars from a few feet away with (you guessed it) a mug of coffee on this mid-August morning.

Caffeinated Regards.

Stokes
pancerni said…
Yhr figures are coming out lovely. Your determination will Put
caveadsum1471 said…
Good progress, I like painting horses, they take less time than humans! Of course my finish is way below yours, Ive almost finished a unit of hussars which were fun?
Best Iain
Stryker said…
Lovely work on those horses. I'm no good at all at horses and always paint them before the riders as the plus thing is it marks the halfway point in finishing a cavalry figure!
A sound approach, Stryker, and one that I too am gradually adopting. Why not get the tedious parts (most of 'em) out of the way first?

Kind Regards,

Stokes
James Fisher said…
They are looking grand. I concur with your dislike for painting girth, bridle, reins and assorted straps on horses, but have come to enjoy doing them a bit more as I now tend to paint the top surfaces and let the undercoat take care of most of it. I do though, suffer the same as you and touch-ups are *always* required!
Best wishes, James

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...