Skip to main content

The Sky Is Cryin'. . .

 

And I certainly feel like it.  

The great rice paper flag experiment has not worked as planned, and one of my carefully painted over flags has been ruined in attempting to glue it carefully around the pole of the first standard bearer. The rice paper is so absorbent that the glue grabbed and set before I could manage to match up the edges of the two halves.  The error was so glaring that even furling the flag around the pole as though carried in a Force 10 gale would not have helped.  The only thing to do was throw away the sad flag once the shreds were all removed from the flagpole.

Sigh.  Can't remember if ever I've had such a hobby setback quite like this. 

More than four hours of brushwork Saturday down the drain.  You can just imagine the blue language muttered internally to myself at the moment. 

I imagine the feeling of defeat is something very similar to what model ship builders might feel when they discover a major mistake with the rigging.  Or when a section of the layout does not take shape in quite the way a model railroader has planned, and everything needs to be torn apart and redone from the ground up.

Well, the best thing to do is stop for today and come back to the problem later during the week when I am in a better frame of mind.  It'll be a just little bit longer than expected before glossing and final basing takes place.  Blast!  As Stevie Ray Vaughn sang, The Sky Is Criyin'.

-- Stokes 

Comments

Fitz-Badger said…
Aw, man. I know the feeling of hobby frustration. Better luck with future flag attempts!
tradgardmastare said…
That was so frustrating for you, all that effort going to nought. Stopping, rallying and advancing later in the week sounds a plan.
So sorry to hear this setback , could you seal the flag somehow ? PVA ?
Frustrating x 10. Grrrrrrrr.

Kind Regards,

Stokes
Neil Patterson said…
Deep breath, carry on....
One trick I've learned with paper flags is to fold first, apply glue to one side, put over pole without contacting the actual pole, then match outer edges so you have a sort of loop. Then attach closed end to pole, pull taut and gently join both sides, keeping taut and smoothing out flag. Hard bit is not getting a wrinkle and avoiding glue on fingers which transfers to flag.
Describing it makes it sound more complicated than it is.
Neil
Tim said…
Good luck with the next attempt. Possibly a different glue might work. Would Modge Podge work?
Thank you very much for the kind words and suggestions, everyone. Bouncing back a little today, but still don't quite feel like sitting down to try, try again.

Kind Regards,

Stokes
Rob Young said…
Possibly spray with matt varnish or something to help 'seal' the paper a bit before gluing?
Extrabio47 said…
After experimenting with any number of materials, I now make my flags with artists’ metal foil, available from Blicks. One roll will make a fairly large number of flags.

One caveat. You must use a flexible primer. I use white Vallejo primer and it works very well. Do not use Gesso. It dries brittle and will crack when you attempt to add furls, taking the paint with it.

Initially I used super glue to hold the halves together, but a white glue like Elmers works better, and gives you the time to match the edges perfectly.

Good luck,

Bill

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!