Skip to main content

Von Polenz Cuirassiers, ca. 1733: The Reds. . .

 

A painting muse of another color visited Saturday, so rather than begin the yellow/gold detailing of the saddle cloths, I tried my hand at highlighting the red coats. . . and saddle cloths.  The previously applied darker undercoat was Citadel Khorne Red, and instead of scarlet for the highlight I decided to use Vallejo Flat Red for a slightly more understated look.  

Bearing in mind my tendency to overdo it with highlights, I used a #1 round and really tried to restricts myself to simply touching the bristles to the highest points of the shoulders, sleeves, saddle cloths, and valises/coats just behind the riders (I have not yet done anything to highlight the coffee brown musician's coat).  

Not sure how successful my efforts were, but I am trying to keep in mind Big Lee's point today about painting for the "Three Foot Rule." I may yet add a dot of scarlet, but the jury remains out on that point.  See what you think.

Ok, enough shilly-shallying.  When I return to the painting table this evening, following outdoor activities tending to the various flower beds, it's saddle cloth trim in yellow (gold for the officers), dark brown undercoat for the carbines, and black rear cuirasses for the officer and standard bearer since they apparently wore these in the Saxon service.  That would explain the glaring lack of shoulder straps across their backs.  Wish I'd figured that out with the first 16 of these figures! Remind me to go back and add that feature when these 14 are all finished.

-- Stokes

Comments

pancerni said…
Steady on, the unit will be gorgeous.
caveadsum1471 said…
Lovely progress, I'm working on some Austrian Hussars, cuirassiers and dragoons at the moment, don't know why the Hussars got a capital letter, they just do, I had to restrain myself from adding an exclamation mark!
Best Iain

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...