Skip to main content

A Nice Reddish Brown. . .

 

Vallejo Mahogany Brown in fact.  Spent about 90 minutes yesterday evening painting carefully around previous brushwork to avoid too many mistakes.  Two or three errant splotches were nevertheless wicked away before they dried, but another will need to be touched up at some point.  

It was slow going, not helped by the fact that my stock of #2 and #3 rounds seems to be depleted, and I was forced to rely on brushes with worn out tips of the bristles.  These are the sizes I have always used for most of my paining over the years.  #4's and #6's for large areas of color or base-coating with #1's and 000 for tiny details.  Anyway, must place an order at some point today (it is currently 6:37am here) when a few spare moments present themselves

Maddeningly, I had to retouch the blue on one of left legs when the color began lifting from the white base-coat as I wicked  away one of the misplaced -- and subsequent -- splotches of brown intended for the coats. Have any of you ever experience this?  It has not been an issue I've run into before with dried acrylic colors that have cured for 24+ hours.  Grrr.

But back to the figures.

Like everything else, their brown coats too will get an Army Painter wash and be retouched (highlighted) with the original color later in the painting process.  I'll finish the brown coats this evening, and then see if there is time Thursday for another session, or not.  

Gotta pack my skis and other stuff into the car for the Friday morning skiing departure although since it is just me, that will not take up as much time.  I may well be able to squeeze in 60-90 minutes Thursday night before painting fatigue and the tedium demon do their worst.  We'll see.

-- Stokes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!