Skip to main content

A Saturday in Early January. . .

My cheerful painterly picture placeholder (borrowed from somewhere on the web) until I have another Kodak moment to share.
 

Finishing those 16 Saxon cuirassiers this weekend come hell, or high water!  And after only almost a year.  I know, I know.

Spent a very pleasant hour or so early yesterday evening looking over each figure and horse, several of which required no attention while a few others did.  Mostly tiny touch-ups to sword blades and/or scabbards along with some very fine lining using a dark Army Painter wash to define the shoulder wings of the trumpeter and kettle drummer.  

In a few instances, the painterly errors were so tiny that I decided to ignore them.  After all we must cling to the few threads of rational thought left to us, right?  Mulled wine and Yatzi by the hearth with the Grand Duchess followed later.

Today (Saturday), just a couple of small touch-ups left and then the flag. Might even get 'em glossed by Sunday afternoon. And then onto 15 Croats for a change of pace before returning to cavalry. You guessed it, the second batch of 14 Saxon cuirassiers (but representing a different regiment). 36+ Minden Austrian hussars after that although I will probably break up that project with a coach, hay wagon, and more civilians between squadrons.  You know.  Just to keep things from becoming too much of a slog.  

Yes, I am a pathetic glutton for painting punishment!  But it looks like a painting plan for 2025 has taken firmer shape nonetheless.  Ambitious?  Yes.  But as Phil Olley wrote in a couple of early Battlegames articles, and I might be misquoting slightly, "Man with no target hit nothing."

Happy Weekend everyone!

Stokes

 

2025 Painting Targets

Regiment

1st Company/Squadron

2nd Company/Squadron

3rd Company/Squadron

Completed Regiment

Eureka Saxon Cuirassiers (30)

 

In-progress

 

 

 

Croats (15)

 

 

Next in Queue

 

 

 

Karlstaedt Grenz Hussars (36+)

 

 

 

 

 

1st and 2nd Anspach-Beyreuth, Waldeck, Anhalt-Zerbst Composite Regiment (60+)

 

 

 

 

 

Coach

 

 

 

 

 

Hay Wagon

 

 

 

 

 

20 or so Civilians

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Rob said…
Don't be downcast, if you weren't painting it was because you were doing something more important and/or more enjoyable. And, after all that you still have some (a lot?) of soldiers to paint - look at it as a pleasure extended.
Happy New year!
Donnie McGibbon said…
Nice set of targets for 2025, will look forward to seeing your progress with them, your Saxons look great, the Eureka figures are very nice.
pancerni said…
The unit is done. Now you must have them attack something. That's how they can get you motivated to reinforce them.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!