Skip to main content

Keeping up the Standards. . . With Apologies to Paul Weller. . .

 


Almost finished!  Just a few more, small, extremely minor bits to touch-up before glossing.  But I managed to tackle a few more of these yesterday afternoon.  

A second such session in the painting chair followed during which I printed, trimmed, and attached the standard to the flagpole after a coat of varnish to protect the computer printer inks.  The evening saw a third session to highlight a few folds here and there on the flag, using some slightly lighter green washes of the facing highlight, which, to my eyes at least, makes it look a bit more like wrinkled silk flapping in the breeze.

Now, although these Eureka figures are sold as Saxon cavalry, and the uniform is based on that worn by the von Plötz Cuirassiers -- Uniform details gleaned from Summerfield, Kronoskaf, and a few additional sources. -- I gave them one of David Morfitt's recent generic Austrian cuirassier standards.  David does yeoman's work with his carefully researched and designed flags, standards, and guidons, which just have that certain something about them.  Some are based on prototypes that are quite rare, and even his speculative flags are feasts for the eyes.  You can find 'em all via his Not by Appointment blog.  Thank you for your ongoing work, David!

But back to the cavalry in question. 

In my imaginary Army of Zichenau (mortal enemy to the Grand Duchy of Stollen), this particular unit will become a long forgotten regiment of Austrian cuirassiers from Ruthenia.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the von Warhola Kuirassiere.  Acrylic glossing will commence this (Sunday) evening!  I'll touch up the edges of the green bases once the shiny step has been finished before calling 'em all done. 

-- Stokes

Comments

Neil Y said…
Lovely looking unit: one of my favourites of the 18th century
Donnie McGibbon said…
Very nice indeed, super work on them and the standard sets them off very well.
Stryker said…
They look fabulous well done to you!
Der Alte Fritz said…
You could create a backstory similar to that of the Porcelain Regiment of dragoons that Frederick acquired from Saxony in exchange for some valuable Meissen Porcelain
Bloggerator said…
Utterly charming Stokes. Marvellous horsemen.

Regards (and a Happy New Year),

Greg
Than you for your kind words, everyone!

Kind Regards,

Stokes
David Morfitt said…
Great looking unit, Stokes. And good to see one of my cavalry standards in use too! :-)
David Morfitt said…
Oh, and thank you very much for your kind words on my flag production, Stokes! More to come, with luck...

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!