Skip to main content

Taking Stock of the Painted OOB. . .

 

One evening earlier in the week, I spent several hours carefully examining the Grand Duchy of Stollen collection .  Here is a listing of everything that has been painted and glossed up to this point, excluding numerous civilians, the extensive pontoon and transport train, limbers and teams for the existing artillery, many command vignettes, and a couple of light infantry fomrations that rarely see the table.  

There is also a unit of 30 metal Spencer Smith cavalry that I painted way back in 2007-2008, that does not really work with the rest of the collection as it has taken shape in the years since.  Plus a couple of units of Holger Eriksson figures that featured in the Sittangbad refight long ago at the May 2006 Partizan show, which I managed to snag from painter John Preece back in 2016 or '17.  But I digress.  Here we go:

 

Zichenauer OOB

Ermland Garde (All line regiments consist of 60+ figures)

Flickenhoffer Fusiliers

Ernestine-Sachsen Regt.

Wied Infantry

Württemberg Garde zu Fuß

Grenadiers (3 cos.  Approximately 45 figures.)

Karlstädter-Lykaner Grenzer (1 co.  15+ figures)

Banal-Grenzinfanterieregiment Nr. 1 (1 co.  15+ figures)

Lauzun’s Legion Hussars (2 sqns  Approx. 30 figures)

Batthyani Dragoons (3 sqns  Approx. 45 figures)

Anhalt Cuirassiers (2 sqns)

Wurttemburg Leib Grenadiers a Cheval (2 sqns)

Five two-gun companies of artillery (six-figure crews with a mounted officer

 

Stollenian OOB

Leib (Grand Duchess Sonja’s Own) Regiment

1st Musketeers

Schaumburg-Lippe-Bueckeburg Regt.

3rd Garrison Regt. (These belong to my son)

Hansastadtmilitär Provisional Regt.

Grenadiers (2 cos.)

Ansbach-Beyreuth Jaegers (1 co.)

Bosniaken (1 sqn)

Trakehner Dragoons (2 sqns)

Von Trumbach Dragoons (2 sqns)

Five two-gun companies of artillery

A company of Russian artillery (these belong to my son.)


In the next post, I'll provide a glimpse of what resides in the Drawer o' Lead to my immediate left and share the plans for what they'll eventually become on the painting table.  Hint: there's still lots more to come.  Whew!

----------

 

Over on the tabletop, our game remains on hold.  The Young Master, at almost 14, (predictably?) has his own activities that take precedence over playing with ol' Dad, and he has been noncommittal about continuing things since the three turns carried out last weekend.  A shame since the late afternoon game was starting to become nicely interesting from a command and control perspective.  The well-dressed front lines -- See what I did there? -- on both sides soon fell into disarray as they moved forward into musket range with each other.  

It was satisfyingly in keeping with what Christopher Duffy, I believe, has written on the subject of order versus disorder once the shooting began in mid-18th century warfare.  And our own disarray was not the result of morale checks either, but rather terrain features on the tabletop, which hindered the lengthy lines of miniatures.  So, in that respect, our truncated game provided a nice bit of realism.  

Hopefully, we'll be able to complete things before those two marauding felines, Gunnlaug and Onyx, intervene!

-- Stokes

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!