Skip to main content

Xmas Week Musing. . .

 


A warm Christmas Week greeting to everyone who drops by first of all.   Come in!  Come in out of the cold.  Time for a little more of that seasonal gemütlichkeit, or Scandinavian hygge if you will.  Sit down here by the fire, and I'll get you some fresh coffee along with a little something medicinal.  What would you like?
 
Well, Sir.  Can you believe our stollen for this year, baked by the Grand Duchess on the 23rd, is almost gone?  One of her best, it simply melts in your mouth, and the tiny addition of a bit more fruit than is called for by the German recipe has kicked an already delightful holiday treat into the stratosphere.

In a nutshell, the Young Master and I have made short work of this year's triumph although the Grand Duchess has been able to enjoy a few bites too.  Now, I can never decide whether fresh coffee, or a glass of eggnog compliment the stollen better. So, naturally, we must conduct a side by side test at the breakfast table each morning.  And occasionally during the mid-afternoon too.

[The 2022 Christmas Stollen is now, sadly, history following breakfast with the Young Master, who had the honor of finishing it along with a glass of eggnog.  Yours truly had fresh coffee and. . .  the obligatory glass of eggnog.  I'm not very strong, you know.].
 
On the painting front, I took about 90 minutes yesterday evening to finish (Wait for it!). . . Brass buttons on the waistcoats of about 40 Minden Austrian infantry. Not too many mistakes to fix today either, which is (sometimes admittedly) unusual. Now, I can begin looking over each of the 60+ figures and apply any necessary touch-ups. I'd be a bit further along in all of this, but with our recent snow, we have been busy cross-country skiing, which has taken precedence during the Christmas period.

Something like this for the planned jager company I think.


Speaking of painting, the Young Master gave me a range of Army Painter browns and tans this Christmas, which will help nicely with the next project. On a similar note, the Grand Duchess also gave ma a small package of Fife & Drum jagers and Minden Prussian musketeers in firing, loading, and taking aim poses. These will form a company of combined generic jagers (green with either light green or red facings) and another of Frei Infantry (dark blue with light blue facings) plus a small mounted staff for the combined battalion. 
 
And something close to the Le Noble fusiliers in this Knotel illustration for the planned generic company of Frei-infanterie.
 
 
Once painted, I plan to base these as vignettes of two and, in a few instances, three figures, which can be staggered widely, or lined up a bit more closely to form a ragged firing line along the flanks of main battle lines, the edges of model woods, or in various kleinkrieg scenarios.  After all, I've had this terrific supply train painted and in the collection for almost 10 years!  Time to do something about that.

Additional plans for 2023 also include three squadrons of cavalry (Russian dragoons and possibly Saxon cuirassiers) plus a Reichsarmee infantry regiment. And I will keep tinkering with my one brain cell rules 'A Tangled Mass,' getting everything typed up and committed to paper by September 2023 for (I hope) publication and the inevitable critique and further tinkering by my fellow wargamers. 
 
That, however, is one of the key features of the rules, in the great tradition of Donald Featherstone, and users will be invited to adjust, change, or toss out whatever does not fit their vision of mid-18th century tabletop warfare.  The Young Master and I will hopefully also manage to stage a few games in the coming 12 months although I am not sure our planned Christmas Week game will happen.  We might need to delay until after January 1st  In any case, everything else should keep me busy well into the next year.

"But Stokes," I can here you say, "What about your glacial painting rate so typical of recent years?  How will you find time for anything else much less get it all done given the press of work and family life most weeks?" 
 
Yes, yes. The best laid plans of mice, men, and all that. But I have made up my mind to renew my focus and resolve and try to get back to those heady days of 2006-2014, or so when enthusiasm was high and there was much more coming off the workbench at more regular intervals.  I know, I know.  
 
I like to think of this period in my own wargaming history, however, as something along the same lines of what the hobby was like in the 1970s and early 1980s.  Lots going on and an abundance of inspiration flying in from all directions.  An apparently vibrant book scene, various relevant magazines, frequent games, giant hobby personalities, evolving figure ranges, new rules, TV shows, newsletters, shows/conventions, a DIY spirit, and everything else.  
 
A veritable smörgåsbord from which to choose in other words.  The golden age of the hobby I have since seen it described on more than one occasion by various writers.  Whether Phil Barker (and others) would agree or not with that assessment of the era, I don't know.  But I aim to rekindle some of that same enthusiasm in the coming year at least within and for myself.  And if that bug becomes contagious, spreading beyond the frontiers of the Grand Duchy of Stollen and its immediate neighbors, so much the batter.
   
That said, all I can promise right now is that we'll see how things proceed in the coming months.  Since our arrival in Michigan back in June of 2015, life has had a way of supplanting whatever hobby plans I have had in mind.  But revisiting those articles by Phil Olley on project management  that appeared in early issues of the much missed Battlegames might be a good start toward righting the ship.  
 
Now, there's an idea for this afternoon (following our visit to a local cat cafe)!  You will no doubt concur, I hope, that revisiting favorite magazine issues and articles from years gone by is one of the many delightful branches of our multifaceted toy soldier hobby.

Ok, ok.  I have nattered on long enough.  Time to draw a breath.  How about you?  What wargaming goodies did you receive this Christmas?  Any plans for 2023?  How will you reduce your own lead or plastic mountains?  And how about another nip of holiday cheer before you head out?

Kind Seasonal Regards,

Stokes

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
Your unit of combined jaegers and freikorps is one I eagerly anticipate seeing, both in creation and on the table top.
This year saw me finally doing some imagineering set in the 1790s . I must confess that the vast majority of figures were painted professionally for me as I knew it would never happen were l not to proceed in this manner. I will add to the project hopefully in the coming year. Retirement is a busy time with volunteering and some uni courses etc, not to mention the fun of taking the odd derive round places near and far. I am a Wargames butterfly and flit around a lot. 2023 should be a time for a few focussed projects, fingers crossed.
The 1790 Duchy of Tradgardland is an excuse to field troops in that ridiculous military fashion of the period that the Swedes and Russians wore. The conceit is a civil war in the Duchy of Tradgardland where one side looks west and outfits their troops in Swedish uniforms whilst the other side looks east and wears Russian uniforms. As a counterpoint to such frippery there will be intervention troops in their own uniforms- Norwegian line infantry, jaegers and ski troops as well a a unit of Austrian Grenzers. Being inspired by Peter Young l have not shied away from cherry picking some units to appear because I like the look of them. However I have tried to create a bit of a narrative and have restricted myself to 1790 or so rather than venturing to Napoleonic for example.
Anyway I have waffled on too much already and will sign off by wishing you and yours a Happy New Year when it comes.
Alan Tradgardland
It always seems good in Stokes World. You are a very lucky chap. Just keep plugging away with your troops Stokes, Im certain you will get to where you want to be. All the best Robbie.
Thank you both for your kind comments, Robbie and Alan! Well, we like to try to keep moving forward regardless of whatever else life throws in the way. Toy soldiers provide a highly pleasant form of escape in that regard.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Stokes
El Grego said…
Moving forward regardless, one brush stroke at a time if needed - I am trying and mostly succeeding at that!

In my corner, 2023 should see more reductions of older hobby projects as I come to face the fact that I can not chase the shininess of every new idea. Along with this, I intend to dust off figures that have not seen attention for some time, and, just for the joy of new purchases, two new projects are planned. One of these will be in conjunction with my sons, and has already started with Kickstarter, and the second will be a solo effort although I know that I can dragoon my sons into playing once it is ready!

Happy New year to all - Greg

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a