Skip to main content

Have You Any Book Recommendations for the New Year?

 

On the second mug of coffee after breakfast (and a glass of eggnog each) with the Young Master this morning.  Still in robe and pajamas listening to German Christmas music online and mulling over my hobby past, present, and future.

As many of you will agree, reading, research, and the related inspiration are a large part of the wargaming life.  Somehow, the word 'hobby' seems too small and insignificant for such an absorbing, all-encompassing pursuit.  Right?  

While they are a key part of things for many of us, wargaming in its broadest sense includes so much more than just the toy soldiers and miniature scenery.  So, I suggest a not-so-subtle change in nomenclature.  Wargaming 'life' it is!

Yet again, I digress!  Returning to the point at hand, and because I have some Amazon birthday and Christmas money burning holes in my metaphoric pockets, at any rate, I seek suggestions for recent books specific to my own Frederickian, Napoleonic, and mid-19th century interests.  

Besides Henry Hyde's recent trove of advice on running campaigns (and what a joyously useful tome it is), are there any recent titles specific to the 18th century -- history, rules, etc. -- that you might recommend?  Any recent uniform guides. painting, scenery, or diorama handbooks?  Model railway titles are fair game too.  

Forgive the bad pun in there somewhere.  Please don't cane me, Sir!  I was led astray. 

At any rate, and before I dig myself in further, please leave your books suggestions in the comment boxes below.

------------


On the figure painting front, I am getting very close to calling the 60+ Wied Infantry done and ready for flags plus glossing and permanent basing.  You reach a point where you realize that you could go on and on and on with fixing minute brush errors, touch-ups, and so forth.  But sooner or later, it is time to get 'em done.  You know.  Before decrepitude takes an even firmer grip.  

While we want nicely painted figures, we are also after that mass effect of large units, so a dark brown mustache that strays slightly beneath a 30mm nose, or a tiny speck of another color in an out of the way place on one or two figures is not the end of the world.  I am not a competition painter after all.  So, let's begin the final stages say I and get 'em to the table!

All of that is just my usual long-winded way of saying, stay tuned for further photographic updates.  Now, should I next begin overpainting the flags?  Or prepare the permanent green bases to approximate those of the Wm. Britain's German and British toy soldiers given to me by my maternal grandparents for Christmas 1976?

And yes.  I still have them along with some metal gun and tank models by Solido.  Some Christmas gifts, you keep forever.

-- Stokes

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
“ From Reich to Revolution “ by Peter H Wilson is a book that helped me to try and understand how the Holy Roman Empire worked.
“The wild goose and the eagle” by Christopher Duffy . A reprint by Helion of a terrific book I used to border from the university library in my student days.
Hope this helps!
Duke of Baylen said…
It will be interesting to see what's recommended. My current reading is for an earlier period but I suggest a good starting point is to browse the Helion catalogue for new and forthcoming titles. In what I've purchased the text is fascinating and the colour plates inspirational. If I had a stately home's library and the budget, I'd just buy everything - instead I'm concentrating on 17th century Sweden, Poland and Spain. You may also find this leads to a favourite author and you will seek out his/her books. Also with the loss of Christopher Duffy - Helion is publishing some of his work which scarcely needs my recommendation.
All the best for 2023, in which I will look forward to news on this blog.
Stephen
p.s. I'm not sure if I can agree about when to stop on touching up painting mishaps. The last five figures I completed needed three goes at completing them. Why is it that it's only at the varnishing stage you see the mistakes however carefully you look before hand?
Neil Patterson said…
Saxon Army?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saxon-Austrian-Succession-Seven-Years/dp/1907417265/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1CR0NFNXGOLFE&keywords=Saxon+army&qid=1672394085&s=books&sprefix=saxon+army%2Cstripbooks%2C142&sr=1-4

Hanovarians?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANOVERIAN-ARMY-SEVEN-YEARS-WAR/dp/1907417664/ref=sr_1_7?qid=1672394157&refinements=p_27%3AStephen+Summerfield&s=books&sr=1-7&text=Stephen+Summerfield

Neil

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a