Skip to main content

Next on the Painting Table. . .

 

Familiar Mollo illustrations of period specific Russian troops.  The plates from this particular book just have a certain something about them that I actually prefer to more recent book and online sources. 

 

General Paul von Stollen and staff were received well by our son on his 12th birthday last week, so I have started on the next phase for his planned Christmas gift: a two-gun battery of Russian artillery. 

Six Minden crew each and a mounted officer for good measure.  Fairly simple, easy uniforms to paint although I have taken my time applying washes of scarlet over some very dark red to a pleasing blend of highlights and lowlights.

The black hats and gaiters are done as are the black facings and turnbacks on seven of the figures.  Once I finish that, then I'll take care of the fleshtone (doing things a bit out of order this time).  And then the smaller details. 

Years ago, I painted some Revell Austrian SYW horse artillery as Russians -- Some of you old timers might remember. -- but the Minden figures are much nicer.  They should be spectacular once painted, glossed, and manning their guns when the Young Master unwraps them on Christmas Morning.  

-- Stokes

Comments

Rob said…
Is it wise doing Russians for the Young Master? They can be uncommonly hard to shift.
tradgardmastare said…
Glad the gift was received well and I look forward to seeing the battery progress.
Should be a memorable present.

Hopefully he doesn't regularly read your blog.....
David Morfitt said…
I do agree about the Mollo book; I still find it one of my most inspiring volumes.

Glad to hear your son liked his gift. How could he not? ;-)

Good luck with the Russian artillery and I look forward to seeing progress on them.

Cheers,

David.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...