Skip to main content

Rekindling the Paintbrushes. . .


Yet another variation on the uniform worn by Austria's Batthyanyi Dragoons.  I'll post a photograph of the entire regiment parading across a terrained table once they have been glossed.


Hello once again everyone!  It's been a while, but I bit the bullet last night, after several months away from the painting table, and worked for an hour on the final nine figures and horses of that monster dragoon regiment (45 figures and horses in all) begun almost one year ago.  Mostly applying small flecks of acrylic gold to buttons on the men's and officer's coat lapels, pockets, and cuffs.  

I find that buttons turn out best when you apply just the tiniest fleck of paint to the very center of the sculpted buttons, to catch the light instead of attempting to paint the entire button and risk having the paint end up where you don't want it.  Of course, holding your breath, bracing your forearms against something steady, and painting beneath very bright lights help immeasurably too.  

As does perching one's spectacles down on the tip of one's nose.  Yep.  Sadly, it has come to that point.  The long, slow, inevitable slide into old age.  No matter.  The Swenor roller skis (classic diagonal stride), which should arrive before long, and recent not insignificant weight loss should stave off total decrepitude for a few more years with a little luck.  Not going down without a fight as they say.  But I digress! 

Back to figure painting and looking ahead in the painting queue.  There was less to do on the final nine dragoons and mounts than I recalled, which was a pleasant surprise because I want to get moving on a large regiment of infantry this summer.  Possibly either an Austrian or Reichsarmee regiment, or  some AWI Germans in a composite unit.  I am going for colorful units and flags in as varied a mix as possible.  

And, of course, The Young Master and I will continue work on his battalion of Prussian garrison infantry that we began in late December 2020 during the Christmas break.  He has been very patient with ol' Dad in the meantime.

As for the long pause in hobby activity, well what can you say? The refrain is the same as for many other painter-wargamers around the globe this last year.  Too much work at home with related stressors plus a general malaise that has made reading during the evenings, or binging on one or another TV series via Netflix with The Grand Duchess, a more attractive prospect.  

The path of least resistance.  Utter passivity.  "Languishing," I think, is the term some have taken to calling it.  In any case, all of this has meant that the elusive painting muse has not visited as often as she might have done since January.  

But, with the end of the semester/term here, barring the calculation of final course grades for about 140 students this coming week, the decks will be clear for a while, and I can devote the evenings to painting and related hobby pursuits.  With perhaps also the occasional game too?  

I know The Young Master would be up for pushing some lead around the table as we play through another Charles Grant scenario or tabletop teaser.  On that note, I have continued to tinker with my morale and cohesion rules during my absence from the painting table, but of that more anon.

-- Stokes

 

P.S.

On a totally unrelated point, I received the second of my anti-Covid shots almost two weeks ago (of the Pfizer variety), and except for a sore shoulder for a couple of days, had no adverse reactions either time.  I'll continue wearing my mask out in public, plan to teach online for the 2021-2022 academic year, and will continue to avoid large gatherings though.  After all, why tempt fate?  

Immunologists have already told us that we can still catch it, and the after effects for people who survive a bout with the Covid-19 virus are long-lasting and exceedingly unpleasant.  Periodic booster immunizations may also be necessary later, so it pays to remain vigilant in my view since this thing could be with us for some time to come.  

It's preferable, then, to err on the side of safety than throw caution to the wind only to wish one had been more careful later.  After all, I hope for a few more decades of relatively joyful painting, collecting, and playing with my toys. 

Comments

marinergrim said…
Good to hear that some paint has been splashed around Stokes. I think many of us were inspired early on during the pandemic to get figures painted. However, fourteen months on and with little sign of getting near a table top that inspiration has diminished and the enthusiasm waned significantly. And yes, the attraction of sitting with someone and just being near someone else can be a far more attractive proposition. Good news on the jabs, my second is another six weeks away.
Whiskers said…
Good that you are back to blogging (and painting). I’ve been lax too.
Totally agree with your views on vaccines and precautions against Covid. My 2nd AZ jab is due this evening.
Ed M said…
Getting my 2nd Jab tomorrow--and have gotten my "second wind" on painting just a few weeks ago having gone through a similar period of malaise. Semester is coming to a close here as well, but this time around the summer lull will lead to other things for me--my university has offered early retirement incentives to cut costs in the wake of the COVID disruptions: I'll be punching out at the end of June.
Fitz-Badger said…
I am with you on your p.s. comments. Just got my first dose, and expect to maintain precautions even after full immunization. I may just be a little more open to outings (but still masking, distancing, washing hands, and all).

I have painted some figures now and then, probably about in line with my usual slow intermittent pace. I have some sitting here to be prepped for painting now, but have been dealing with some minor non-covid health issues lately. Path of least resistance does make it easier to languish languidly. But I think renewed interest will come sooner or later.
Big Andy said…
As someone who has- now- to use a magnifying vizor - as well as the normal glasses I can assure you that you will get used to it. View the whole thing through the bottom of a glass- darkly - and I assure you it feels better- even if the painting gets a bit wobbly !

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a