Skip to main content

Wargamer's Newsletter PDFs!!!

 

Wargaming greats of the past, the late Donald Featherstone and Peter GIlder at play sometime during the early (?) 1960s.

 

Tooling around the web between tasks this afternoon, and what do I turn up in a random search for images of the late Donald Featherstone?  Many, many links to PDFs of the old Wargamer's Newsletter archived online by a like-minded hobbyist!  Looks like I have found my reading for the approaching Christmas period.  Fix a mug of something warm, settle into your favorite chair, and click here to begin the journey with me.

-- Stokes

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
What a treat, a time machine. I managed to get one issue opened on my iPad- December 1964. What should be pictured but 54mm American troops of the ACW? A sign? Here I am nearly 60 years later than this article gaming in 54mm and with Americans albeit 1870s . Nothing changes in this great hobby of ours. Thanks for the link and the reminder.
Mike Hall said…
A great find. I actually was a subscriber and have a run from May 1965 to the end so it's going to be very interesting to read the earlier issues. It's a pity - though not a surprise - that this early period is where the current missing issues fall. The more publicity this gets the better, particularly in the UK as this is where the missing issues are most likely to be located.
LOL... Jim Walker and I scanned a whole load of our copies for inclusion in that absolute diamond mine of a resource... in fact I heard from John the other day to confirm that the Featherstone family have given their blessing to the continued existence of the resource.. he's also found someone who has the entire print run (!!) so he will soon be able to fill in the missing blanks...
What a great find ! , thanks for passing it on - am wallowing in nostalgia !
Bluewillow said…
fabulous find, lots of common wargames problems are still around!

cheers
Matt
A J said…
What a great find! Thanks for sharing the link.
Matt said…
Fabulous! I have been collecting these over the years so this is a goldmine finding.
Ed M said…
Excellent find. I’ll be adding to the links on my blog...and spending time perusing the collection to pass the long winter nights!
David Morfitt said…
Now that is a wonderful find! Thanks for posting the link. I had some correspondence with Donald Featherstone some years ago and he is sadly missed. (Your header picture reminds me that I also knew Peter Gilder a little as a teenager...)

All the best,

David.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!