Skip to main content

Step 7.0 Yet MORE Detailing. . .

 

A not unpleasant sight. . .  A loooong line of toy cavalry.  And a lengthy slog, yes, given the events of the summer, but we're getting there steadily, slowly, but surely.  You can see the final nine figures and horses lurking in the background.

 

Still here, still ambling along, still muddling through. . .  And still adding details to the 36 Minden Austrian dragoons, who seem to come more alive with each new bit painted.  Today, I finished the white lace on most of the saddle cloths, highlighted the dark green saddle cloths for the officers of the three squadrons, and added tiny dabs of bright gold to bring out the trigger guards of the muskets carried by 27 of the 36 figures.  Yes, I know.  I know.  In addition, I took the opportunity as I worked through the unit to touch up some of the dark blue and mid-blue, cleaning up the lines where different colors, or tones of the same color meet in the process.  

By my reckoning, the following areas remain in need of painterly attention: 

1) the reins held in the figures' hands, 

2) the drum hoops and cords, 

3) the shoulder wings of the three drummers, 

4) the three guidons, 

5) the inevitable final touch-ups, 

6) two coats of gloss varnish, and 

7) a couple of careful coats of bright green on the bases.  And that ought to do it.  

 

October and November have been earmarked for the remaining nine figures for this MONSTER regiment: a six-figure and horse grenadier company in bearskin bonnets, and three regimental staff, that is to say the colonel, a trumpeter, and an extra grenadier.  Let's call him a chosen man.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if I want to press ahead with another couple of cavalry squadrons, or a 60-figure regiment of line infantry.  Goodness knows, there is plenty to choose from in the lead pile!

In other hobby news from the front here at Stollen Central, The Young Master, bless him, actually asked me yesterday (Saturday) when we might fight another tabletop battle.  Given how busy everything is at the moment, I suggested the long  U.S Thanksgiving Weekend in November, which seemed to suit him well.  

 In the interest of keeping him engaged, I'll peruse my Featherstone titles in the meantime to find another fairly contained scenario although Blasthof Bridge and Sawmill Village are tempting too.  We discussed it again earlier this afternoon and decided between us to consider several possibilities and take it from there.  His affect is a little off sometimes, so it is occasionally hard to read his enthusiasm for anything, but my impression is that Young Paul is itching to play some more with ol' Dad's toys and an afternoon and rolling fistfuls of those wonderfully satisfying D6's.

On that note, I've continued to tinker with my 'Call It Macaroni' rules during the last several months, trying to simplify morale rules and moving more in the direction of a fun game but with a slight nod to what might have developed and/or been possible on the Field of Mars in mid-18th century Central Europe.  Thanks to Messrs. Duffy and Nosworthy in particular.  

Moving from history to the tabletop, A Gentleman's War, sent to me last December by my in-laws, has provided no end of entertaining inspiration here.  It seems to be assuming the same status, to my mind, as Charge!  The War Game, and Battle with Model Soldiers.  Which is simply a long-winded way of saying that the book has become a favorite in the months since last Christmas.  With apologies to the late George Michael. . .  and Andrew Ridgeley of course.  I know the song is one of Der Alte Fritz's seasonal favorites.  ;-)

To wrap up this rambling post, what are your thoughts on the old saving throw?  I'm leaning toward writing them into my evolving rules for close combat at least, and possibly for hits from musketry, skirmish, and artillery fire too.  What are your thoughts?

-- Stokes

Comments

marinergrim said…
Stokes, those cavalry are impressive and should prove quite intimidating on the tabletop.
Personally I'm not a fan of saving rolls. For me I'd adjust the aggressor stats to make it more difficult to score a hit if the saving rolls are being used because of the high number of casualties being raised. I find that when the enemy roll to save hits it has a demoralising effect on the firer when they see all their hard work cancelled out but not a balancing motivational effect when the defender fails.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...