Skip to main content

Dark Blue Highlights. . .

Here's where things stand now after numerous washes of Scarlet and a dark blue wash to highlight the black coats.


The scarlet highlights, while time-consuming, have turned out reasonably well, but the highlights for the black coats have slowed things down the last couple of days as I had to find a better way to bell that particular cat.  Initially, I tried my usual dark gray 'Zinc' on four riders and was disappointed with the results.  Suddenly, the coats looked gray.  Casting around online, didn't really yield anything helpful either, and then I thought about trying some very dark blue from a more than 20-year old bottle of Ral Partha 'Dark Blue.' 

I've mentioned that bottomless little vessel occasionally here over the years, so longtime visitors might remember it.  It was purchased way back in the late 1990s from a long gone gaming store along State Street in Madison, Wisconsin when I was a graduate student at the mighty UW-Madison (Go Badgers!).  You can just see said bottle along with another of Ral Partha 'Leather Brown,' purchased at the same time, in the line of paint containers behind the current batch of figures.  Miraculously, both remain fluid and continue to serve me well with the addition of a few drops of Liquitex Flow-Aid about once a year.

Anyway, a wash of this same very dark blue seems to have produced very serviceable highlight on the arms, shoulders, upper chests, and upper backs.  A highlight that is distinct from the black below it, neither too gray, nor too blue.  The wash seems to allow enough of the black to show through, toning down the blue ever so slightly.  Or at least that's how I would describe it.  

It looks good enough to my eyes, so I think I'll give the sheepskin shabraques a similar treatment.  Best of all, the step was very rapid, and I was able to get all 14 riders done in about 35 minutes earlier this afternoon before The Young Master arrived home from school.

It's always a good thing when a painting step goes quickly.  Not the case with the scarlet parts of the uniforms, lances, and flags, which required numerous washes (I lost count), to brighten this up a bit than might have been the case with a single coat applied direct from the bottle.  

A useful side effect of washes, it's worth noting, is that they facilitate very nice blending as you build up lighter colors like reds, yellows, lighter blues, and whites atop a tan or light gray undercoat for example.  It's not an exact science, but once you get the hang of things, you can get some very attractive effects with washes.

-- Stokes

Comments

marinergrim said…
Dark blue is the new black then. Very nice.
Good to see you are making some progress Stokes. Black is a difficult colour as is white, well for me anyway. Im pleased you have discovered blue highlighting for black uniforms. Although you adopted a different technique for painting figures using very dark blue does make a great highlight. Ive also found that mixing black with mid or even light blue works very well.
Ed M said…
Black-uniformed figs do present a challenge to get them to rise above a block painted effect. Like you, I have found success hitting blacks with a dark gray highlight (in my case, still using enamels, I find Model Master "Gunship Gray" does a good job over black). Having said that, this case reminds me that different sculpts can demand different approaches. I'm impressed at your use of washes and shades and have picked up more than a tip or two along the way: thanks for sharing your WIPs.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!