Skip to main content

Bosniak Noir. . .

Taking a close look at the figures, these seem to be the various small details that need to bee addressed moving forward.  Oh, and of course the white markings on the horses.


Well, here is where things stand as of December 21st, the winter solstice and shortest days of the year here in the Northern hemisphere.  I've been painting these 14 riders and horses as part of small painting challenge that a few friends and I have been running since 'round about the 1st of the month.  

Our agreed deadline is December 23rd given how things tend to get very busy for many with last minute things, family commitments, church services, visits from Santa Claus/Father Christmas, and so forth.  And for most of us, I think the goal has been not necessarily to get the figures finished but at least to make some painting headway.  And indeed, headway is being made although I'll have to continue with the smaller details once things quiet down a bit during Christmas Week.  

I'm also aiming for a couple of small solo games on the table during Christmas Week though I must first clear it of my own and The Young Master's assorted things that have been piled on it during the fall semester/term.  But that is perhaps getting a bit ahead of ourselves here at Stollen Central!  So, let's talk a bit about what I've managed at the painting table since last we met.

Stepping back a bit from the painting table -- and to come clean, I took a break on Friday evening and worked on my Call It Macaroni rules instead --  the larger, easier areas of the figures and horses are all done.  Now, it's all of those tiny, maddening little details to take care of.  That and the inevitable touch-ups after the fact.  And finally, the usual two coats of acrylic gloss.

The last few days of the Christmas rush notwithstanding, I'll paint as and when I can.  I'd really like to get these finished by January 1st though.  Cross your fingers and toes, and stay tuned.

And finally, before signing off for today, it looks like we've picked up a couple of new followers in the last several days or so, so welcome to Brett and Nathan.  I hope you'll continue to find the grand Duchy of Stollen an interesting and maybe even inspiring"place" to visit from time to time.

-- Stokes


P.S.
Speaking of my developing mid-18th century rules Call It Macaroni, I finally whittled down the playsheet to a single side of a piece of paper yesterday evening.  The key was simplifying the rules for close combat and morale checks as well as shrinking the font size.  That and cutting and pasting the more detailed explanatory language to another page.  Still much to do, but it is exciting when something you have been thinking about and messing with for two years or more finally starts coming together.  But of this, more anon.



And were Film Noir directors like Fritz Lang, Billy Wilder and Anatole Litvak wargamers and collectors of toy soldiers, they might have included a shot like this on their blogs had such technology existed during the 1940s and early 50s.  I call this particular shot 'Bosniak Noir.'

Comments

The Seasons Greetings to you and yours , those Bosniaks are coming on great ! .
Have a lovely Christmas Stokes.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!