Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #9. . .


Half of 'em, at least, are actually starting to look something like proper wargaming miniatures by this stage.


A couple of painting sessions yesterday afternoon and later during the evening post-mowing the grass, edging the driveway, and those suburban dad sorts of things.  The Grand Duchess has stated that I and two or three other neighbors are in tacit competition with each other for the nicest lawn.  I feel so misunderstood!

At any rate, since you can see the collars of the coats on these Minden Prussian grenadier figures, I carefully trimmed in dark green and dark yellows with a #1 round, taking care to leave a thin line of the previously painted black and white neck stocks showing,  before starting to block in the basic dark blue of the coats with a #4 round during the latter session.  

Strangely, all went well during these two rounds of painting with no mistakes this time to fix later.  It happens now and again. 

Fatigue from the day finally kicked in around 10:30pm, so I left the rest to tackle today since the morning and afternoon are wide open.  I hope you might agree that the Hessenstein Grenadier contingent at right is stunning in its, more or less,  1749 uniform although the figures are nowhere near finished.  

Once the dark blue coats have been blocked in, I'll apply basic dark brown to the musket stocks, drums, haversacks, and any wooden staves before adding undercoats to the metal plates on the mitre caps, moving onto smaller details and some highlighting after that.  

We're starting to get somewhere here I think.

-- Stokes

Comments

Matt said…
Coming along very nicely!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...