Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #31 (11:44pm Eastern Daylight Time). . .





At 11:38pm this evening, just a few minutes ago, and with 22 minutes left of July, I rinsed my 000 sable 'spotter' and called this composite unit of grenadiers DONE.  The last item painted was/were the hair and wigs, the latter for the officers, NCOs, musicians, and sapper.  The rest got one of two reddish brown shades of natural hair.  

I'll fix the color on these three photographs and crop them tomorrow once I return home from yet another session with the periodontist.  For now, I am going bed.  I'm bushed.

-- Stokes

Comments

Congratulations on a challenge met and over come!
My Dear Heinz Ulrich, Greetings!

Congratulations on a splendid artistic achievement. I'm sure that I express all of your readers' sentiments that we will soon see these figures take their rightful place on the line of battle.

My very best to your noble family.

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus
Ed M said…
Rather like Fogg arriving at the Reform club just as 8:45 chimes: well done, old Bean!
Matt said…
I salute you Sir!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...