Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #28. . .

Perhaps the step I have most dreaded doing, but the whalebone trim atop the mitre caps is finished!  My venerable 000 sable 'spotter' well and truly helped here.  The end results are not perfect, but reasonably convincing en masse.  Most important, it's all done.


Inching along this warm Sunday afternoon, Day #28,  seeing to the white trim on the colored mitre cap bags, which, apparently, was stiffened with whale bones way back when.  The step went pretty quickly, and while I made a number of flubs, as expected given the rather fine lines sculpted onto this part of the figures, the mitres snapped into shape pretty quickly once either dark green, or dark yellow were trimmed in, to straighten up the white lines whereever things went all wiggly or sloppy. 

This particular step took about an hour, less time than anticipated.  Even with the more tedious and small items, sometimes paint goes on easily enough that you just keep going until everything is done.  It happens now and then.  And that was the case today.

Once The Young Master has been tucked in later this evening, I'll return to take care of the officers' sashes, gloves, and swords.

-- Stokes

Comments

marinergrim said…
Very nice Stokes. Painting hat lace, any hat lace, is something I find difficult to keep nice and even.
Really coming along now!
tidders said…
Nearly there :) been following your progress

your activities have spurred me on to get to grips with items stuck on painting table...
Thank you, men! I have the entire day to myself. So, after a second mug of coffee, it will be time to get back to work here with the brushes.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...