Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #26. . .

The unit in question this (Sunday) morning.  Very nearly there with just three days left of July.


The following update should have been posted two days ago on Friday morning, but my camera needed charging for photographs, and then the day got away from me with mowing and assorted yardwork outside followed by a shower, change of clothes, and an evening out for dinner, just the two of us, with The Grand Duchess.  Anyway, here is the update from Friday morning:


The Young Master had an early eye exam at 8: 10 this morning, and his mother, bless her, took him.  So, I had some unanticipated free time and took the opportunity to refill my coffee mug and head down here to Zum Stollenkeller and get to it!

Lots of niggling little details at this point as we near the finish line.  I spent about an hour working on the drums carried by the two drummers who are part of this 33-strong grenadier battalion.  While I took care of the brass shells yesterday, the heads, hoops, and cords needed doing.  This is one of those times when you don't breathe and brace your hands to keep them as still as possible.  Especially when it comes to those tiny diagonal stripes of contrasting color on the drum hoops!  

I went with conjecture and gave the Wurttemburg Hausgrenadiere drummer yellow hoops with black diagonal stripes for his drum, while the Hessen-Kassel Hessenstein drum hoops were painted white with orange diagonal stripes, according to the information presented on the Project Seven Years War website for this particular regiment.

The process of painting drumhoops never seems to get much easier, but 28mm drummer figures are preferable to work with compared to 'true' 15mm miniatures, like the Minifig 'Super Detail' Napoleonics on which I cut my painting teeth many years ago.  Still, I don't think I took a breath for the better part of an hour as I worked on the two drums, but they came out reasonably without that many errors to touch-up.  Strangely.

Afterwards, it was time to give the enlisted figures their mustaches (Not too much trouble here!) with my trusty old 000 sable, still useful after more than two decades, before moving on to things like: wigs and queues, gaiter buttons for the half of the battalion in off-white gaiters, officers' swords and knots, sword scabbards,white sleeve cuffs (where visible), and officers' gloves.

That, according to the almighty To Do list should just about get things to the touch-up and glossing stages.  Just five days left in July. . .  Can I make the deadline of Midnight on July 31st?

-- Stokes


Sunday Morning P.S.
By my reckoning, the remaining items to paint before glossing and permanent basing include:

1) Whale Bones on the rear of the mitre caps (not looking forward to these)
2) Officers' sashes, gloves, and any remaining gorgets
3) Scabbards (hilts, tips, highlights, any visible straps)
4) Wigs/Hair
5) Queues
6) Gaiter buttons on the half of battalion with white gaiters. 


Mercifully, the half of the battalion in coats with (yellow) Swedish cuffs do not seem to have that tiny sliver of shirt cuff sculpted/visible, making my work a little easier.

Comments

Well they're coming along fine now Stokes.As Ive said before they are a lot more difficult to paint than RSM etc but do come up really well. I've had a battalion of Saxon grenadiers sat on my table for nearly two years now, I just havent had the inclination to complete them especially as I moved onto easier projects. Stick at it they look great.
Thank you! Still a few things to do yet, but almost there. Of course, they'll probably run away in the first game they're used in. ;-)

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...