Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #17. . .

Belts, buckles, and straps yesterday and today.  Whew! 


Only two weeks of July left to finish (hopefully) the current battalion of 33 figures and a horse.  Of course.  

A couple of sessions yesterday on either side of cleaning out the garage and another satisyfing period this morning after coffee before moving on to rehanging several pictures and a few commemorative plates that have been waiting for a year or more since we had some door and wall repairs made in one case, and the Grand Duchess decided to replace an older picture in the second.  

Speaking of which, The Grand Duchess and Young Master are visiting grandparents in the Pacific Northwest this week, so yours truly is home alone.  Scary, right?  I always joke with my wife that my usual group of floozies will pick me up in their pink Cadillac for some fun and games in her absence.  The spousal reply is typically something along the lines of "Sure, they will."

In any case, while my time is largely my own this week, I was asked to take care of a few things, and I added a number of others to the list that also need doing.  It is indeed amazing what one can accomplish in a short time when left alone for several days to do so.  Ahem.

So, after a doctor's appointment this afternoon and a trip to the supermarket on the way home, it's back to the painting table for another go around with these figures.  I think it's time to paint and highlight the coat cuffs before moving onto anything else.  You know.  Before I somehow forget.  After that, I need to highlight those water bottles atop the knapsacks of many figures shown above.  I think a nice mix of silver and dark brown ought to give the right appearance for what were (presumably) tin items.

Very hot weather on the way for the next few days, so a good excuse to remain indoors comfortably ensconced down here in Zum Stollenkeller until cooler conditions prevail, and I can return to mowing and other assorted yardwork outside.

-- Stokes



For good measure, here is a better view of both halves of my composite grenadier battalion based on a Kronskaf illustration of Wurttemburg's Hausgrenadiers (left) and another by Knoetel portraying Hessen-Kassel's von Hessenstein Regiment ca. 1749 (right).

Comments

You are doing very well with these figures , keep it up !

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...