Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #16. . .

 Painting more carefully now to avoid getting new paint on figures parts already completed.  Just a few more white shoulder belts to go!


Some time in the painting chair yesterday evening following an afternoon of dental games with the periodontist preparing for an implant later in the month.  Fun, fun, fun.

Back home, after the usual early evening activities around dinner, cleaning up, and bedtime for The Young Master, plus my evening walk around the neighborhood, I got back down to business and returned to the painting table.  This short session saw me applying white to the shoulder belts that support the black cartridge pouches on the right hip of most figures pictured.  

My two decade old 000 sable served me well, and just over an hour later, most of the figures were done with this particular step.  After a haircut this morning, I'll return to finish these, do the white waist belts, and add some sparing highlights for the brown  shoulder belts.  This evening, musket straps, which should go pretty quickly, and some other items on the list, which I've included below.

One thing about these Minden figures.  There is considerable detail to paint!  Lots of gear sculpted onto the castings in other words.  Others, like many in the RSM95 range, are more forgiving and ready to go sooner given the relative lack of extra items there, very little except for a musket, cartridge pouch, and shoulder belts for example.  

However, my view is that the finished product is well worth the extra time, effort, and, yes, occasional frustration.  There is no doubt that Minden miniatures, along with those by Fife & Drum and Crann Tara, provide delightful gaming and even conversation pieces once completed.  So much of the historical miniatures wargaming hobby is, after all, wrapped up in the visual side of things.  Shouldn't we, as hobbyists, do our utmost to produce the most attractively painted figures possible?

Come on.  You know the answer already.

-- Stokes


The rather sobering  'To List' of the many items yet to paint.  Admittedly, some are quite small. but there is still a lot to address!

Comments

Well you are making progress Stokes. I particularly like the yellow facing unit. Blue and yellow always look good. I notice you leave the faces and hands until last which is contrary to convention. I settled for a compromise and give the skin a wash and then finish the skin off last. I feel I have completed the figure then.Best of luck with the units.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...