Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #15. . .

Look closely.  The brown and gray undercoats on all shoulder and waist belts are finally done!  Fairly easy (???) now to go back, hold my breath, and add sparing white or lighter brown highlights here and there.


Not much time in the painting chair yesterday (Sunday), but I did manage to apply the rest of my usual light gray to the white shoulder belts and waist belts late in the afternoon.  Today is earmarked for highlighting these with dashes of white following an appointment in the periodontist's chair, and some time straightening the garage.  Oh, joy! 

It makes sense to take care of the musket straps and shoulder straps (on the left) after that (must check on the colors for those) before then coming back to the brown shoulder belts to highlight those very carefully and SPARINGLY.  I have found over the years that one of my annoying painting habits is to flood the brush (and area) with color.  It still happens, even now after almost four decades of painting 15-25mm figures when my attention wanders. 
 

If you too share similar painting tendencies, join me in a round of the painter's mantra.  Less is more, less is more, less is more, less is more. . .   There now.  Better?

Once the belts and straps have been seen to, I'll sit down with pen and paper and make a 'to do' list of all remaining items in need of paint.  Somewhere in there, the blasted horse must be addressed.  I've  mentioned it before, but thus far have delayed doing anything about ol' Dobbin. . .  with considerable success I might point out.  The road to painting hell and all that.

-- Stokes

Comments

Matt said…
Coming along very nicely indeed.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...