Skip to main content

July Painting Challenge: Day #14. . .

Not quite at the halfway point of the month, but things are progressing well I'd say.


Painting time has been a bit less plentiful the last couple of days, and I took a night off on Friday, but I've still managed to get in some time at the ol' workbench.  Progress has been so steady the last week or so, that it seemed like a good idea to spend some with The Grand Duchess and Young Master for a change! 

On Saturday afternoon and evening, however, I returned with renewed vigor for a couple of sessions to start trimming in the shoulder belts on my current battalion of composite grenadiers.  Another fairly slow step to avoid possible later touch-ups. 

In the photograph above, I'm down to applying very light gray to just a dozen remaining figures before I can go back and add sparing white highlights to the white belts supporting the cartridge pouches/drums.  I'll then go back and repeat the process but on the brown shoulder belts/haversacks before adding some additional related detailing to the latter items.  The white belts around their waists should probably be taken care of at this stage too.

We're headed out for a family breakfast at our favorite local quick and greasy in about half an hour, so I'll dive in for more painting a little later today.  The weather is sunny, and the mercury is rising today and  this week (Spring and early Summer have been delightfully cool and comfortable here so far), providing an ideal excuse to remain ensconced down here in Zum Stollenkeller where it is delightfully cool for more brushwork later this Sunday afternoon.

Just a little over two weeks left in July (17 days to be exact).  Can I get these 33 figures and horse all painted, glossed, and based in the time remaining before my self-imposed deadline on the 31st?  Stay tuned to find out.

-- Stokes

Comments

I found that the Minden range was harder to paint Stokes. Clearly RSM are less detailed so were easier to complete. Looking good though.
warpaintjj said…
Stay focused Sir!
Looking great so far, sounds like you've got your life balance just right, family, food, Stokes Time!
Best wishes,
Jeremy
Than you for the kinds words of encouragement, gentlemen! Yes, life-work balance indeed. Easier said than done during the school year though. The Mindens are very time consuming given the amount of detail and gear sculpted onto the figures. RSM's are easier in that regard, and Spencer Smiths even more so. But, I've got a mountain of Mindens to get through, or a drawer full in any case, so. . . As long as the eyesight holds out, here I'll stay.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...