Skip to main content

T-Minus 11 Hours or So. . .

One of several classic wargaming photographs that has stayed with me for 30+ years, providing a hint of today's planned hobby activity.


Well, Sir. . .  The Grand Duchess and Young Master return home from Chicago in about 11 hours.  It is 9:59am right now as I write this post.  Coffee and cats at the moment.  Still much to do, including a quick and hopefully final run to the supermarket for a couple of last minute things, dusting snow from and putting away the back porch furniture (I know, I know. . . ), as well as assembling a couple of dishes and a pie for Christmas Eve Dinner.  

Lots to do in other words.  But, I also plan to attempt a Christmas-themed scene, based on the above picture, using my own figures, scenery, and perhaps a tiny bit of table salt here and there for some extra sparkle.  If all goes well, watch for a photograph here later this evening.

-- Stokes

Comments

Duke of Baylen said…
Merry Christmas to you and your kin.

I look forward to the photos

Stephen

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!