Skip to main content

Carbines Attached and Some Inevitable Touching Up. . .

Here are the two squadrons together with the colonel in command and his trumpeter at the fore.


Righty-oh.  As far as I can tell, the necessary touching up is now finished.  Not too many, but there were a few tiny areas to address with some red, black, and/or white paint and my trusty 000 sable brush, which is just starting to develop a hook after about 20+ years, but it still manages to do the trick when I need it.  Plus, I needed to do the gold tassels on the silk bags of the the red-coated Wurttemberg squadron at left.  Just their carbine barrels and brass bands on the carbine stocks, then we can begin glossing everything.  I don't know about you, but I can almost hear the thundering of hundreds of hooves.  What a frightful thing it must have been to be on the receiving end of an enemy cavalry charge.

-- Stokes




Yet another quiet old Christmas greeting from long ago to stretch out Christmas Week just a  bit more.

Comments

My Dear Heinz-Ulrich, Greetings!

What a wonderful way to start the New Year with additional heavy cavalry poised to sweep the enemy from the field. Since this is the 18th century you must be prepared to suffer heavy casualties from the trained infantry and guns you will confront. May your new troopers fight well and maintain their courage and iron discipline.

Your servant,

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus
"What a frightful thing it must have been to be on the receiving end of an enemy cavalry charge." Indeed.. a few years ago I had the good fortune to attend our local horse racing track on a race day... I stood beside the winning post so that the horses would pass no more than five yards away... it is a sobering experience - the ground shakes literally... exhilarating too, mind, and I recommend it wholeheartedly to give you an idea of the likely shock/impact.. Happy New Year, Stokes..
PS. The figures are lovely..! :o)

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!